FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
241 views 2 comments
by anonymous
I have a customer who is looking to bridge 7 sites together with L2 VLAN bridging.   1 of these sites will be the hub.  

Assume IPSec tunnels from the 6 remote site back to the main hub. Can GRE be used to extend a single VLAN amongst all 7 sites? If so, how many Teltonika devices are needed at the main hub site to support the tunnels?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Can you tell us what Teltonika device do you have in mind? Also, it's not very clear what protocol or VPN you are asking about. IPSec and GRE are not layer 2 protocols.

Can you share a topology diagram of what you are trying to achieve? If you want to connect remote offices to a main office inside the same network, you can use OpenVPN bridge (TAP) like you can see on the following wikipage:

Connecting two same subnet office networks using OpenVPN bridge (TAP) on RUT9xx - Teltonika Networks Wiki (teltonika-networks.com)

Best regards.

by anonymous
I was looking at using the RUT955, but I'm not married to that one in particular.  I've used one in the past for testing and I like it.

Topology is a simple star.  A main hub with 6 branches.  

Using that article as a model, could I have a RUT955 at the main site, and then add 6 more remote sites (RUT955s) and all the PCs on the internal networks would talk to each other?
by anonymous

Hi,

I haven't tested a scenario exactly like that, especially since I don't know how many PCs will be connected to each branch or what kind of applications will they be running. 

A RUT955 would be able to connect 6 or more OpenVPN client instances but the performance and throughput would start decreasing the more hosts on each branch you add.

Depending on your network requirements, you might need a RUTX series device on your main site since those have more CPU power. 

Best regards.