FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
341 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Since some months, I frequently experience that clients connected to the internet via a RUTX11 unit lose internet connection. 

Issue

• Connection to internet is lost.
  • The duration varies between a few seconds up towards perhaps a minute. 
  • Sometimes the outage is repeated after a short period (minutes), sometimes the connection is stable over a longer period. That is, no clearly identifiable pattern.
  • The log files in the RUTX11 unit shows no events for when the connection is lost or re-established.
  • During outage:
    • Clients get ping responses from the RUTX11 unit but not from ip-addresses outside my network (e.g. 1.1.1.1 or 8.8.8.8).
    • The "Data connection state" (in Status > Network > Mobile) displays "Connected".
    • The "Mobile signal strength" graph (in Status > Realtime data > Mobile signal) displays unchanged mobile signal parameters.

Topology

Internet > RUTX11 [bridge mode] > Router > Switch > Clients 

Performed troubleshooting

• Simultaneous ping command to three addresses (one to a public DNS server, one to the RUTX11 unit and one to the router) results in the public DNS server not responding during the outage, but both the modem (RUTX11) and the downstream router continued to respond.
  • RUTX11 log displayed in the user interface shows no entries related to the issue.
  • I've tried with two different SIM cards (same mobile operator). The issue occurs with both.
  • I've contacted the mobile operator's technical support but they cannot see any anomalies. 
  • I have temporarily switched over to using a backup RUT240. I have no disconnect issues when using the SIM cards in this unit. 
The above leads me to the conclusion that the source of the issue is the RUTX11 unit (or its firmware).

Firmware information

The unit is currently running firmware RUTX_R_00.07.02.7, but the issue has been observed with previously installed versions RUTX_R_00.07.01.2, RUTX_R_00.07.01.5 and RUTX_R_00.07.01.6.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

It would be helpful if you could provide a troubleshoot file by attaching it to your question. Please, replicate the issue, then access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration > Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there. The logs in the file might provide more insight onto the issue.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Sorry for the late response. I prepared a troubleshooting file and the results of continuous ping in the beginning of October, but I forgot to send them ... and haven't been much on the site. The RUT240 unit works flawless so there has been no rush, but I will today send infor via direct message.
by anonymous

The troubleshoot file provided does not contain any disconnects either and signal quality is quite good.

For comparison, I would like you to check what frequency band is used by RUT240 and RUTX11 in Status -> Network -> Mobile section in the WebUI.

Aside from that, the firmware of the modem module is very old. I would suggest to update. There are a couple of ways to do it. One of them requires a stable alternative WAN source other than RUTX11 mobile connection. Instructions for it can be found here.

If alternative WAN source is not available, please check this thread.