My name is Albert and we recently bought a Router on Amazon and we couldn't find direct contact with the technical service, that's why we came here.
Product code: RUT955T03XXX
Serial number: 1124189000
What happens is that it is blocking access to the WebUI after a short time (sometimes 1 hour, sometimes 1 minute... after restarting it) and to temporarily solve it we have to restart the Router.
As soon as it allows us to access it, the message that is saved in the log is the following:
ip_blockd service is disabled, firewall rules are cleaned
We have the IP blocking service disabled.
We have tried to make a change in the firewall so that it accepts all connections and we have also disabled the firewall to test, but it did not solve it. We got it from here:
We also attach all the LOGs of the Router so that you can see in detail what is really happening.