FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
759 views 20 comments
by anonymous

I have two RUT240 routers here both not really usable and I'm running out of ideas. They were purchased independently and with several weeks or months in between purchases.

Both are not reliably reachable via the lan interface. This is using the default ip 192.168.1.1 and also when using other ip addresses.

Symptoms are: After booting I can access the web ui from lan, after a few minutes lan ip isn't reachable any more (no ping, no web ui, no ssh). Reboot mostly fixes this.

Using the wifi interface I can still reach those devices even when they're not reachable via lan interface.

I did try:

• flashing different firmware versions (00.01.14.6, 00.07.01.4, 00.07.02.7) (using the web interface, and also the recovery boot mode)
  • factory reset the devices countless times (via web ui, if possible, and via the reset button > 5s)

Often times I'm not even getting a DHCP lease on the lan interface. Giving a connected device like a laptop a fixed ip address in the correct lan network range still doesn't allow communication then. If reading the arp table of the devices via wifi in this state, the mac addresses show all zeros like after trying to ping a connected lan device with fixed ip from the routers' CLI.

Packet forwarding between wifi and lan is not working. Examples: I connected two laptops for testing, one via lan / ethernet, the other via wifi. Both devices have fixed ip addresses. Running wireshark on both and trying to ping from one to the other shows that arp requests and responses are not flowing correctly between the two devices.

There seems to be a general stability and/or layer 2 problem with those devices?

Other strange things include problems with changing the default password after a factory reset. This has been described somewhere else here in the forum, too: You have to change the default password, which seems to succeed. But you cannot login with the new password afterwards. you CAN still log in with the factory default password.

Seems like a problem with writing to the flash/overlay file system?

I've spent over 8 hours now trying to get these very basic things to work correctly, and with over 25 years of linux / network background I should be able to do this?! I would never rule out stupidity on my side, but I'm really running out of ideas here...

I would urgently need to put those into operation, and they would only be the first two prototypes. Actual usage would be providing a mobile uplink to a connected ip camera and creating a vpn to our datacenter (might be l2tp, openvpn, ...). So nothing really special.

Right now I'm wondering, if our current path (switching to Teltonika from a different vendor because of stability problems there) is a wise move...

So, to conclude: What can I do to make those routers do even the most basic things?

Do you need any more information I can provide?

Christian

by anonymous
Oh yeah, to add to this: Upgrading to the latest firmware via the recovery boot never succeeds, as I always get an error "Incorrect checksum" after uploading the firmware downloaded from here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/wikibase/images/9/9a/RUT2_R_00.07.02.7_WEBUI.bin

The md5 sum of the downloaded file DOES match the checksum published here: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/Downloads#RUT_Routers

Christian

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The update to the latest RutOS might not be possible due to the older bootloader version, thus, the suggestion is to update to the latest legacy and proceed from here to latter firmware versions.

From what you have described, these seems to be faulty units. You could leave them running for a while for the logs to populate and then download the troubleshoot files from these devices. To generate the files, access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration > Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there. Attach the files by editing your initial question. Maybe something will show up.

Best regards,

by anonymous

br-lan: received packet on eth1 with own address as source address

It would be interesting to see the content of such packets:

tcpdump -i eth1 -n -v -s 0 -w capeth1.pcap 'ether src host 00:1E:42:42:9E:74 and ether dst host 00:1E:42:42:9E:74'

and post the capeth1.pcap file.

by anonymous

After a reboot it's behaving even stranger:

Even via wifi I DO get an ipv4 address by DHCP, and CAN ping th RUT (@192.168.1.1).

I CANNOT for the sake of me (tested using two laptops) open the web UI or SSH into the RUT anymore. I noticed that the LEDs on the LAN and WAN ports go off occasionally (regardless if something is connected there or not).

See attached sniff from a connected laptop. You can see echo req/replies, and an SSH and HTTP connection attempt. Both are not getting past the TCP syn/ack stage...

rut240-ping-no-connections.pcap

Trying to reset the unit once more to gain access...

by anonymous
After factory resetting the unit once more, I can reach it again.

Will postpone further tests until tomorrow, have other work to finish. Will get back with more results...
by anonymous
Similar output in the logs might be due to hardware failure, thus, if none of the suggestions produce acceptable device operation, simply return the router for warranty repair.
by anonymous
Yeah, I give up about this one. I just tried to get some tcpdump again, but just cannot SSH in again (ping working, web ui not, too) via wifi and LAN.

I'll return this for replacement.

Thanks for your time!