FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
768 views 2 comments
by anonymous
I'm new to the Teltonika Routers.

I’m not sure if I’m misunderstanding how these should work, or if I just can’t see the necessary settings.

RUT240 Firmware is RUT2_R_00.07.02.7

I have a SIM card in the RUT-240 and that is connecting to the internet just fine. I have a lead from the RUT-240 LAN port to a laptop. This all works fine and I can do all I need to do.

The challenge I’m having is when I try to connect the RUT-240 to a modem to use the NBN rather than the 4G internet connection.

So I run a cable from the NBN modem to the WAN port on the RUT-240.

When I plug it in, I lose the internet on the laptop, and I can’t even get into the Router’s interface any more.

My suspicion is that it’s an IP Address/DNS issue.

The NBN router is set on 192.168.1.1, and from it I can see the RUT240 is 192.68.1.10 (which I have set the LAN on the RUT240 to as static).

What am I doing wrong? Or can it not work this way? I thought this was the whole point of this router, to give that failover capability, so I suspect I just don’t have it set up correctly.
by anonymous
Hi, OK, that seems to have sorted things out. One question though. Is there something that indicates which Network Interface is currently the active one?

So I disconnect the cable from the WAN port, and the internet connection switches to the 4G SIM card. Great!

When I plug the WAN cable back in, it shows the status of the WAN as Running, but the 4G is still Running too. Is there an indication somewhere that it is actually using the WAN port, so I know I'm not still using the mobile data? (or do I just trust the fact that the WAN is listed as the first interface in the list)?

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello there,

well, the physical connection that you made are correct, but here in this case your IP pools are conflicting. you have configured both the routers in the same pool i.e. 192.168.1.0/24. so what you need to do is to keep the ip of RUT240 and nbn in different networks. for e.g RUT240's lan ip 192.168.5.1, laptops ip : 192.168.5.y, and your router rut240 wan ip : 192.168.1.x and nbn lan ip : 192.168.1.1.

Hope it was clear where you need to make changes, Let me know if you have any issues or any questions

Thanks,
Best answer
0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Well, when you check your WebUI interface, it is going to show both your wired and mobile wan running, yes there are ways where you can check which one is active. Firstly, try traceroute command from router CLI to 8.8.8.8, it will show which path exists. Another way , you can check your load balancing section, if it is enabled then yes it will use both the interfaces, if you don't want to use it that way then instead you can setup a failover by dragging the one according to your priorities. And there's another way for you to know by setting up events reporting where you get to know which interface is up and which is down.

Hope you got your answer. let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
by anonymous
Thanks. I'll check those options out.