FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
309 views 2 comments
by anonymous
How does failover work on RUT240/955? I mean, how RUT can detect internet available?

Thanks.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Teltonika Networks crowd support.

Please check the following links for more information on RUT240/955 Failover

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT240_Failover

https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_Failover

If you will face any challenge, feel free to write to us.

Kind regards,

Shadrack.

by anonymous
Ok, I tried to read wiki pages about failover but this is not solving my issues.
As I supposed failover works using external IP addresses and I'm not sure I can use luad balancing for what I need.

I have working RUT240 with no internet connection on WAN port (PPPoE client), ISP told me there must be power loss or RUT240 not correctly working. Link is often down.
I discovered RUT240 correctly powered, WAN port is active (WAN interface correctly got private IP address but I have no internet connection).
I can't use mobile as failover for these reasons:
- I can ping DNS server from ISP
- I can't ping 8.8.8.8 due to ISP policies
- rate plan has increased so much, so it's too expensive, that's why I disabled mobile interface. Available data rate barely allows me telnet access. Actually mobile operator doesn't allow me to send SMS.
I supposed RUT240 issue, so I installed new RUT240 with latest firmware RUT2_R_00.07.02.7, same configuration.
Nothing changed, previous RUT240 I tested at home correctly works with a fake PPPoE server.

ISP still telling me it's a RUT240 fault but I suppose issue is on ISP side (it would't be first time).

On MikroTik devices I got main connection using PPPoE client on eth1 interface, set as default gateway, as backup connection I used PPP client on USB modem.
Using packet marking all packts incoming from PPP interface are re-routed to PPP interface regardless default gateway: in this way I have two interfaces active at same time.
Can I replicate this on RUT240? In this way I could have WAN ad main connection but access to RUT240 using mobile interface for maintenance.
I can't have physically access to RUT240 until next summer and now link is down, so dual access looks for me the only way for debugging.
Thanks.
by anonymous
Hey,

Regarding your original question. The router will determine whether the wan link is active using Track IPs, which you can configure in Failover configuration.

The router will ping those IPs; if they are not reachable, it will switch to the backup wan interface.

By default, those IPs are 8.8.8.8 and 1.1.1.1, so if you can not ping 8.8.8.8 from your router and you're using default track IPs, there is no wonder that the main wan interface will not be active, as the router will be switching to backup wan.

It would be best if you changed the Track IP to ISP DNS server for proper configuration.

Now, as far as I know, only one wan interface could be fully active on the router, and what I mean by saying that, you can enable load-balancing on multiple wan interfaces, allowing traffic to flow through different wan interfaces based on the radio you configured, but the router will only be reachable via main wan IP address.

Here, I might be incorrect, but if you have another router available to you, you should be able to test it with ease, by enabling load balancing on wired and mobile wan, (wired wan working as the main wan) and try accessing the router via mobile wan IP (here you might need public IP).

If you need dual access for main wan debugging issues, maybe changing Track IP will resolve it, another way would be to use failover. Once your main wan will go down, you will be able to access the router via mobile wan. If you do not have public IP on mobile wan, you can use a free VPN service as a Zerotier, which you can install via the package manager and find needed instructions on the wiki.

If you are worried about high mobile data rates, try using QoS to reduce traffic speed on the mobile interfaces by only allowing traffic via SSH interface for debugging using firewall rules. In order not to exceed mobile data limits, use the data limit feature on the router.

It is not a Mikrotik packet marking level solution, but it is the best thing I can think of.