FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
404 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi there -

Is it possible to set the Wireless/Wifi on a schedule, such some/all wireless AP's are disabled during a period of the day?

Use case - turn off wifi at bedtime as a health precaution and force internet downtime for family. Linksys and other routers have this functionality, for the same reasons.

Thanks

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

You could create crontabs to periodically enable/disable wifi with the following commands:

• /sbin/wifi up
  • /sbin/wifi down

For more details on crontab functionality, please refer here.

Best regards,

Best answer
by anonymous

Sweet - this is perfect! Thanks for this Zygimantas. I've implemented a daily Wifi down and Wifi up. 

QQ's - 

1. is this a graceful turning off and on of wifi?
  2. Are you able to turn Wifi back on via the UI if I connect via ethernet if sbin/wifi is set to down? It shows the the AP's as enabled but 2.4GHz/5GHz Device Status: Stopped.
Thanks!
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Well, yes it is possible, we have Profile scheduler Instance, which allows you to create profile instances to be enabled during specific time intervals. You can configure it based on your requirements and add in specific time, day in the scheduler and the profile config will change. I have attached a link to help you better understand. https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT955_Profiles#Scheduler.

Thank you.

by anonymous
Thanks for the guidance.

In principle this will work, but I must admit this feels a little heavy handed to simply schedule on/off the Wifi AP's. Of course, the profile copied for Wifi-off scheduling will quickly diverge from the current profile, meaning the router is reverting to an aged profile every night etc.

Also, can you confirm if the profile scheduler can be set to EVERY day between X-Y time? By looking at the options, it's not clear if this is doable. Instead it looks like it would schedule a profile from X time Monday through to Y time Sunday - which is not what I'd be after.

Thanks for your support on this. And, please share a Wifi-Scheduler feature request to engineering (like Linksys).