FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
344 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hi all,

Purchased the RUT240 and a 4GB sim card. I have the router setup through an azure VPN (using openvpn conf on router). Normally, when a laptop is connected through VPN we can ping hostnames to devices in the cloud, other devices on the vpn, and our internal network. I was assuming that would be the case when the VPN from the router is connected, I could ping the hostname for the router however that's not the case. The VPN IP changes due to the SIM card dropping connection sometimes so I need the dns hostname for the router to function.

Is there a config I need to setup to do the following?
1) Allow admin-lt.local --> ping RUT240 by hostname via the VPN connection
2) Allow admin-lt.local --> ping test-laptop.local by hostname or SSH by hostname

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

1) This is most likely because client-to-client communication is not enabled on the server. I do not have exact instructions on how to achieve this on an OpenVPN server running on Microsoft Azure, but this article section details on how to achieve this using our devices, so I'd imagine it's quite similar in Azure. To put it shortly:

• Create unique TLS Clients instances for each of the Clients
  • Push the necessary routes via the Push option field
  • Enable Client to Client functionality in the Server's configuration

2) The easiest way to solve this issue would be to configure the RUT240 as a TLS client on the OpenVPN server and assign it a unique virtual IP address. This way it will remain static even if the client disconnects and reconnects. Here you can find some more information about certificate generation and how to achieve this setup.

Hope this helps! Let me know if any further questions arise.

Best regards,

DaumantasG

by anonymous

Hey DaumantasG,

Thanks for the advice! However, the VPN is from Azure but just using the openvpn config file. From research it looks like assigning a static IP for a VPN client isn't possible :(

On another note, I can't seem to forward ping requests to talk to the test-laptop behind the RUT via "ping test-laptop.local" as it stops at the RUT VPN IP. I can port forward to the laptop, but can't just ssh directly to the device hostname behind RUT. I've setup Firewall forwarding for OPENVPN > Lan but can't seem to talk with the 192.168.100.150 address of the laptop. Any other advice?

by anonymous
Hello,

it seems like you configured it correctly.

Perhaps you left the default selection of protocol as TCP+UDP? That could be a reason why pings are not reaching the end device, as that would require setting the protocol to ICMP or ALL, however, in that case, you will not be able to specify which port to forward unless separate rules are created for ICMP and TCP+UPD packets.

Awaiting your response!
Best regards,
DaumnatasG