FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
199 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Having spurious problems, when using the built-in RS485 port of the RUT955 running ModBus/RTU, can anybody recommend (from own expirience) a good hw-monitor for the RS485-data ? With some type of data capturing, if possible. Some type of independent box preferred, not to be dependent upon a RS485-USB converter or PC etc.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues!

Could you describe the issues you're having?

A way to monitor the RS485 connection could be to set the RS485 port to Over IP mode and connect to the RS485 slave device using an application called PuTTY.

To set up the Over IP mode:

• Navigate to Services → RS485;
  • Configure the settings according to the slave device;
  • Serial type: Over IP;
  • Raw mode: enabled;
  • Mode: Server;
  • Port: any port can be used, 502 is the default for TCP connections;
On the PC, download and install PuTTY. When launched, enter the LAN IP of the router, port used, and connection type should be Raw. Configuration should look something like this:

Then simply press open and you should be able to access the console of the RS485 device.
Let me know if any more help is needed!
Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous
Being dependent upon RS485, actually using the USB-port of the RUT955 with an externally powered RS485 converted attached, which works very well.

However, coming back to the original problem, to directly use the RS485 port, first of all I have to note, that I did quite a lot of custom programming on the RUT955, running special LUA-code to do the ModBus/RTU comms, i.e. to do fast polling, pre-processing of process data etc. Systematically checking the non-working setup, using the built-in RS485 port, I have the following technical question: Because the problematic setup is running in the USA, any possible issue because of 110V/60Hz power supply ?

BTW: I found another post here on the forum, stating possible engineering issue on the RUT955 regarding RS485 port. Search for topic 'RUT955 RS485 tty port issue'.