FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,126 views 5 comments
by anonymous

I am new to Teltonika and RMS. Just to clarify some things I have not yet found in the documentation:

I'd like to understand 

• Credits (please do not point me to the Wiki page.. there is not that information there I need..
  • Data pack: what is it and when do I need it for what?
  • Management pack: what is it and when do I need it for what?
  • Credits per device per month...: what is the relation of that to the data pack and the management pack above?
  • What functions and/or items and/or services *exactly* are consuming Credits in what way (data, time, etc) at the end?

I find several hints on RMS that there was (is?) a traffic limit. I.e. in the company overview, I see "REMAINING DATA".
We have not set a data limit on any of our test devices (TRB140 and RUT241). In the RMS GUI I can't find any configuration on data limitation as well. 

So, what is this column for? Currently it shows "5106.04 MB". I'd assume it was 6000 MB in the beginning (?), we just started testing. 

I was under the impression that Credits are based on device and month, but not on data consumption. Do I unterstand something wrong? 

Is there actually a "Company Data Limit" ? If yes, what is it for?

Under "SERVICES->CONNECT/VPN" (where I also see "REMAINING COMPANY DATA"), one can add Credits via "Data->Add company data" with Credits. Does that mean that VPN traffic, if I'd create a VPN Hub, is limitted and measured against the "Company Data"? With other words, do you limit traffic through the VPN tunnels? That would be a reason not to use the VPN hub...

This hwere (https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RMS_Product_Change_Notifications#2019.06.17:_RMS_licensing_changes) seems to indicate that licenseing is based on device/month (2019.06.17: RMS licensing changes) and RMS proxy functionality (RDP, VNC, SSH, 2020.09.03 Multiple changes) would consume Credits as well.

If I read/understand this correctly, VPN tradffic through the VPN Hub is NOT consuming credits. If this is true, I do not quite understand the need to show "REMAINING COMPANY DATA" in "SERVICES/CONNECT/VPN"  (I am nostly questioning the "VPN" here...

Thanks for an explanation.

Dan

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

• Credits (please do not point me to the Wiki page.. there is not that information there I need.

Credits are basically a type of  "currency" used in RMS to cover monthly devices monitoring and to provide RMS data for RMS Connect and VPN Services. 1 credit allows for a 30 day monitoring period of a single device. For RMS data, a single credit provides 2 GB of data.

• Data pack: what is it and when do I need it for what?

Data pack basically provides a 150 GB of RMS data for RMS connect and RMS VPN functionalities for a specific device, which is valid for a 10 year period. 

• Management pack: what is it and when do I need it for what?

RMS management pack are used to provide devices monitoring for a certain period (5 or 10 years) without the need of additional RMS credits. Device with activated RMS management pack can be moved from one RMS company to another without losing added pack.

• Credits per device per month...: what is the relation of that to the data pack and the management pack above?

As mentioned before, single device for a 30 days monitoring period use 1 RMS credit.

• What functions and/or items and/or services *exactly* are consuming Credits in what way (data, time, etc) at the end?

RMS credits are used to cover device monitoring service. What and how frequently is monitored can be configured under Management tab -> Set monitoring update period section in device details section in RMS web page.

• I find several hints on RMS that there was (is?) a traffic limit. I.e. in the company overview, I see "REMAINING DATA". We have not set a data limit on any of our test devices (TRB140 and RUT241). In the RMS GUI I can't find any configuration on data limitation as well. So, what is this column for? Currently it shows "5106.04 MB". I'd assume it was 6000 MB in the beginning (?), we just started testing.

Every new company created in RMS automatically receives 5 GB of RMS data. This data is used for RMS Connect and VPN Hub services. When this data are depleted, more data could be purchased by spending RMS credits. 1 credit provides 2 GB of RMS data.

• I was under the impression that Credits are based on device and month, but not on data consumption. Do I understand something wrong?

That is correct, credits for Teltonika device monitoring are consumed on a monthly basis. Data is used for ​​​​​accessing other devices through Teltonika routers and gateways through RMS.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Thanks for the explanations.

One thing is not yet 100% clear to me:

I connect i.e. an SPS via the VPN HUB to a controlling SPSServer.

SPSClient <--> TRB140 <--> VPN <--> Teltonika VPN Hub <-->  VPN <--> OpenVPNConnectClient <--> SPSServer

Obviously, the SPSServer exchanges data with the SPS via the VPN.

Is this data limited by the Credits I assign? In other words, does the "user" data that travels though the VPN Hub deplete/consume Credits? Does every byte that travels through the VPN Hub, consume Credits?
You might have said exactly that above, but I need to be sure I understand correctly.

Thanks

Dan
by anonymous

Hello,

Your assumption is correct. Communication between SPSClient and SPSServer via RMS VPN Hub consume data provided by credits. Monthly monitoring subscription provided by credits applies only for Teltonika devices. Otherwise, access/control of devices behind routers/gateways deplete your data.   

Best regards,

by anonymous

Hi,

For me this is still not 100% clear:

I have currently 2 devices. 1 is not active the other is active. I know it's only because it's sending mails to me.

I have 22 Credits left. Company Data 6,96GB

But the Device data are at ZERO. For this single Device I have to buy not 150GB? Or are they shared between devices? And Why can't I use the 2GB/Credit for the Device data. Or where can I do that? I can Add Data int he Company Settings, but those are only for the Company "Company data to be added: 2 GB"

Additionally: SERVICE EXPIRES AT 2023-03-25 11:07:02
But there is no help how this date can be updated. Actually I thought I'm paying with Credits to be able to use this service.

I'm lost.

Thanks

Martin

by anonymous

@MartinHB:

Hello Martin,

I am a user like you. I do not have much more insights than I gained through the messages above. I think the following is the case (but you need to verify):

1. ANY kind of traffic between RMS and the end-device is eating up credits.
  2. Traffic within VPN's created via RMS, thus using the RMS VPN Hub, are eating up credits as well, albeit much faster due to the higher traffic.

Remark to #2: Since I need a lot of traffic via VPN's, I decided against using the RMS VPN Hub feature. It is nice, works like a charm... but I do not want to afford the credits I would have to buy in my business scenario. Manual setup VPN's, not using the VPN Hub, do not eat up traffic credits.

Remark to #1: I still use the RMS functionality for 1 Credit per month per device, since it is really convenient to have all devices manageable that way. So far, that did not use up 2GB per device per month, so I cannot say for sure if the rule is actually: 

"1 credit per device per month with a maximum of 2 GB management traffic"

or

"1 credit per device per month, AND 1 credit for 2 GB management traffic"

The second rule would make cost less planable, I guess. It would mean that, say after 6 months of management, if the management traffic reaches 2GB, I would have to add another 1 credit for the next 2GB. So that would make 7 credits per device per 6 months. 

Dan

by anonymous
Hi Dan,

many thanks for your reply. My problem is: I have 22 Credits. But I simply can't manage to get 2GB for a device to be added.

I might be able to buy the 150GB but thats faar too much. VPN I luckily don't need as I use the system to run som updates randomly.

Best regards

Martin
0 votes
by anonymous
Thanks,

For our businessmodel, this would not work well. We will setup VPN's, but not with VPN Hub, as convenient as it would be.

Dan