FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
478 views 1 comments
by anonymous

Hello,

Obviously, I have a misunderstanding how to create a guest network and connect the Wireless Interface configuration to it.

LAN works

I have a running LAN network. The network is defined by an interface (Network-->interfaces-->Lan).

I also have a WLAN interface that is connected to my lan.

What I totally don't understand is the section "Physical Settings" in the interface section (Network-->Interfaces--> Lan -->Physical Settings). According to my knowledge a bridge is a link layer device connecting two nets over OSI layer 2, i.e. it is the opposite of a VLAN, as far as I understand.

Here for example, the bridge interface option is set to true, and therefore I (could) select a set of interfaces. Currently only eth0 is selected. Eth0 is, as far as I understand, the interface describing all 5 !!! ports on my router (4xLAN, 1xWAN all wired). I have VLAN configured, i.e. LAN port 1-->VLAN #1, LAN port 2-->VLAN #2, LAN port 3-->VLAN #3, LAN port 4-->VLAN #4 and WAN port 1-->VLAN #5...

I have once tried to change eth0 to eth0.3 and br-lan but lost connection. I had to reboot my router and reset to my default configuration.

However, LAN+WAN works.

Guest WLAN doesn't work

Now, I thought I could replicate all data for Guest network. I created a Guest network, put it to a Guest zone. Guest can only go to WAN zone, input is reject (no access for guest to go to router), output is accept, forward for nets within guest zone is reject (could also be accept there is only one net in guest zone).

Then, I create a second WLAN interface.

I added it to the guest network.

However, it doesn't work.

SSH Console output

I can ssh to my console and have performed IP addr show command. Here is the result.

• I see an eth0 interface, no ip association.
  • I see an br-lan interface that has the subnet data from my LAN (x.x.1.0/24).
  • I see an eth0.3@eth0 interface that has the subnet data from my IoT network (x.x.2.0/24). Why is there no eth0.1@eth0, eth0.2@eth0, eth0.4@eth0 and eth0.5@eth0 interface????
  • I see a wlan0 interface, no ip association
  • I see a wlan0-1 interface that has the subnet data from my Guest network (x.x.3.0/24).

My opinion

My LAN (eth0) and WifiLAN (wlan0) work because both are connected in br-lan.

My Guest net(not physically connected to a port) and WifiGuest (wlan0-1) do not work because I ,make something wrong.

My questions

• What do I have to write to Network-->Interfaces-->Guest-->Physical Settings?
  • How do I have to connect  Network-->Interfaces-->Guest with Network-->Wireless-->GuestWifi
  • What exactly is br-lan and do I need it?

Thanks for help.

Regards,
Equi

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

• What I totally don't understand is the section "Physical Settings" in the interface section.

Physical settings refer to actual hardware device on the router's printed circuit board to be associated to an interface on a logical level in the WebUI. 

• According to my knowledge a bridge is a link layer device connecting two nets over OSI layer 2, i.e. it is the opposite of a VLAN, as far as I understand.

You are correct. Bridge is a layer 2 link between two networks or network interfaces, in the configuration context, between physical or virtual interfaces. VLAN allows to have several networks or broadcast domains within the same physical device.

• Eth0 is, as far as I understand, the interface describing all.

Different devices have different switch architectures, meaning that in some devices Eth0 will represent a physical device for all of the ports, while in others, WAN port will have a separate device called Eth1.

• I have once tried to change eth0 to eth0.3 and br-lan but lost connection. I had to reboot my router and reset to my default configuration.

Did you use associated router's port to eth0.3 if you have configured a port based VLAN or did you assign your PC's interface with a correct TAG if you have configured a tag-based VLAN? In regards to br-lan, did you have any interface tied to it? 

• I see an eth0 interface, no ip association.

That is due to bridging enabled and eth0 associated with it.

• I see an br-lan interface that has the subnet data from my LAN (x.x.1.0/24).

br-lan is your virtual/logical LAN interface now.

• I see an eth0.3@eth0 interface that has the subnet data from my IoT network (x.x.2.0/24). Why is there no eth0.1@eth0, eth0.2@eth0, eth0.4@eth0 and eth0.5@eth0 interface????

eth0.x are physical devices separated virtually into several devices. Do you associated them with any interfaces in Network -> Interfaces section? 

• I see a wlan0 interface, no ip association

wlan0 is a wireless access point's interface, which is connected to a bridge and specified in the wireless configuration, thus it does not appear in the network configuration.

• I see a wlan0-1 interface that has the subnet data from my Guest network (x.x.3.0/24).

wlan0-1 is not bridged to another interface, thus it has its own address.

• My LAN (eth0) and WifiLAN (wlan0) work because both are connected in br-lan.

That is correct.

• My Guest net(not physically connected to a port) and WifiGuest (wlan0-1) do not work because I, make something wrong.

What specifically does not work? Do connected devices receive DHCP lease? Or they do not have access to the internet? Have you followed this guide step by step, as I had no issues with setting up a guest network. Could you share your configuration details, or better attach a troubleshoot file from your device?

• What do I have to write to Network-->Interfaces-->Guest-->Physical Settings?

You do not need to assign any interface here. Since you have created a firewall zone and enabled forwarding to WAN.

• How do I have to connect  Network-->Interfaces-->Guest with Network-->Wireless-->GuestWifi

If Network-->Wireless-->GuestWifi has Network field set to Guest, referring to interface in Network-->Interfaces-->Guest section, it should work.

• What exactly is br-lan and do I need it?

br-lan is necessary for the sole purpose of wireless clients to be able to operate within the same LAN subnet as wired clients. However, it also allows to reconfigure WAN port as another LAN port, bridge other interfaces.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Hello,

thanks for fast answer.
I hat to create a 5GHz Wifi Interface. With 5GHz it works. I can now connect from my iPhone to guest network.
If I find out why it does not work with 2.4GHz I'll report.

Regards,
Klaus