FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
552 views 7 comments
by anonymous
Dear Support Team,

after upgrading my device from firmware 6.x to firmware 07.02.7 (for detailed configuration pls. refer to attached screen shot of RUTOS App) and configuring it from scratch with WIRED WAN, WIRELESS Client and MOBILE interfaces on WAN side I cannot find the WIRELESS Client in failover list (menu NETWORK | FAILOVER); only the WIRED WAN and the MOBILE (mob1s1a1) are visible. In fw versions 6.x all three interfaces where available for failover.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks a lot for your support.

BR

Guenther

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Are all of the WAN interfaces displayed as "Running" in Network -> Interfaces section?

If you have performed firmware update with Keep settings option enabled, there is a likelihood that some functionalities might not have migrated properly, since there might be too big of a difference between the current and previous firmware version that you had installed. 

The first thing, I would like you to try, is to reset the router to factory default settings, using one of the methods described here and try reconfiguring again.

Best regards,

by anonymous

Hello,

many thanks for your response.

I had already configured the router from scratch. In the meantime, however, further tests have shown that a wireless client interface only appears in the failover list of interfaces if it was configured via menu Network | Wireless, then using the Scan button, selecting the desired network and pressing Join network.

In addition, it is very interesting that with this step an object named WWAN has been created by the system (perhaps I deleted it by accident?). What about this object?

So, it is essential having selected this parameter WWAN in list box Network in General Setup of the Interface Configuration of the wireless client.

Is there a document explaining the router's concept in general concerning interfaces? Without this configuration is a bit tricky.

Thanks and best regards

Guenther

by anonymous

When you scan for available wireless networks, and select a specific access point, you are prompted to enter Name of the new network. Once you provide a name and save the settings, an interface is created, which provides DHCP, DNS, firewall, some other services, specifically for that portion of the network for the wireless client instance, separating it from the networks, configured within the device

WWAN is what I assume you have called your wireless client interface in the mentioned Name of the new network option field.  

Unfortunately, there is no in-depth explanation specifically dedicated for the logic behind interfaces. However, for configuration, details provided in this wiki page and this video, should be sufficient to get the wireless WAN up and running.

Best regards,

by anonymous

Thank you very much for your comment.

Let me ask you one last question concerning failover. How can I see which interface is currently actively communicating? The menu Network | Failover shows e.g. the status Online for wan, WWAN and mob1s1a1. One cannot tell which of these interfaces is currently actively communicating. In router's versions 6.x. this was easy to recognize with the help of a differentiated status analogous to "ready" (successful ping, but not active), "active" (currently communicating) and "stopped" (no successful ping). Wouldn't it be useful to add this feature in the list of interfaces under Network | Failover?

Thanks and BR

by anonymous

There are multiple options to determine current main WAN interface.

In the WebUI, the System -> Overview window has added (Main), next to the interface used for WAN connectivity.

You can also go to Network -> Interfaces section, where Main WAN is the highest online interface in the list. 

In the CLI/SSH, you can execute the following command:

• ifconfig

It will list you all available network interfaces, and based on the Metric value (the lower the value, the higher the priority), or data consumption metrics you can tell the main WAN interface.

In the CLI you can also execute the following command:

• curl ifconfig.me

Which will return the public IP as seen from WAN side. Combined with the output of the ifconfig command you can match the outbound interface. 

You can also check the routing table, with ip route command to provide the default interface to reach internet. Specifically:

• ip route get 8.8.8.8

The output of the command will indicate interface the packet will go through to reach the host 8.8.8.8.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Thanks for the information.

I have configured three interfaces, a WAN interface connected to my home network, a WWAN interface, also connected to my home network, and a MOB1S1A1 interface connected to an APN. I configured failover order as follows: WAN, WWAN, MOB1S1A1. Now I did some tests concerning failover.

First I disconnected WAN, the router correctly switched to WWAN, while, as you said, the indicator "MAIN" moved to WWAN. Then, in menu Network | Interfaces, I stopped WWAN to force a switch to MOB1S1A1. It worked correctly, the indicator "MAIN" also moved behind MOB1S1A1.

Second, I wanted to step up in reverse sequence. So, in menu Network | Interfaces I re-enabled WWAN; nothing happened; the router stuck on MOB1S1A1 with indicator "MAIN". I had to reboot the router to get WWAN running again. Then I re-connected WAN, the router automatically switched back to WAN while moving the "MAIN" indicator to WAN.

From my point of view there is something wrong with WWAN recovery from MOB1S1A1.

What do you mean?

Thanks and BR
by anonymous

There might be an issue with the way you have tested.

Turning off interface in the WebUI puts it to the state, which is considered as stopped, not offline. It would be better, if you could try SSH/CLI command ifdown wlan0 or even disable the actual access point RUT955 is connected to.

by anonymous
Thanks for the information.

Great, by testing failover as you suggested it perfectly worked now!

Thank you very much for this conversation and the things I could learn about RUT955.