FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
616 views 4 comments
by anonymous
Just setup new RUTX50 (latest firmware) with 5G SIM (Auto settings) and seeing packet loss (eg 10%+).

Looks like I'm connecting via 5G NSA. Signal strength seems quite good (-60).

Tried 5G Only - does not work.

Tried 4G + 5G - same result (packet loss)

Tried 4G LTE - same result (packet loss)

My phone (Pixel 7 on 5G, same carrieri) seems more stable (less packet drops).

Attached Troubleshoot file. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

5G NSA works on 4G infrastructure, but when you select '5G only mode' it will look for 5G SA, which is probably unavailable. 

Indeed, according to the troubleshoot file the signal strength is good. However, it seems the SINR value is really poor. This indicates that there is a lot of noise and interference in the area. 

Connect to the router via WebUI. Navigate to Status -> Network -> Mobile and try moving the router somewhere else. Observe the Signal strength, RSRP, RSRQ, and SINR values as you move the router. Refer to the information about signal measurements here. Find a spot where the signal measurements are good or at least decent.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous

Hi Andzej,

Thanks for your help /advice.

I was not able to see the values mentioned (RSRP, RSRQ, and SINR) under Status > Network > Mobile, but have managed to check via CLI command.

For SINR I get between -18 and -15 (which I read is very poor according to help pages), but can -sometimes- still send 1000 packets without a drop, so a little confused what is at play here. Attached output from CLI here (during no packet loss). Anything more can look at/analyse here?

oot@Teltonika-RUTX50:~# gsmctl -q
RSSI: -60
RSRP: -85
SINR: -17
RSRQ: -9

Andrew

by anonymous

Hi,

See the image attached.

It is usually the other radio frequency devices that cause interference and noise. These can be other routers, cell towers, phones, etc.

Apparently, the displayed SINR value on RUTX50 is not accurate. This is simply a visual misrepresentation. Sorry. So, it might be SINR or it can be something else that causes the packet loss in your case. However, the logs seem to be fine. 

Did you try other SIM cards? Maybe tried a different (setting custom) APN? Did you try moving the device to a different place to see if it makes any difference?

Could you please share some details on how did you test the device for packet loss?

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hi

I don’t see those fields on the webUI, I’m running the latest firmware.

I’ve tried moving to different locations in the property, hence the range mentioned for SINR value reported (accepting may be inaccurate). Not tried any other SIMs or custom APN settings, not very familiar with, could this improve packet loss?

I am measuring packet loss on a laptop (ping command) connected to the router via ethernet cable, to avoid any possibility of wireless issues.

Like I said, sometimes can go 1000 packets without a drop, other times cannot get past 10 without drops.

Thanks

Andrew

Latest

Switched to same SIM to SIM2 slot and can now see those extra fields in the webUI. The SINR value shown is +15/16 (troubleshoot file shows -15/16).

Unfortunately still seeing lots of packet loss. I'm now seeing similar on my phone, so looks like more a network issue.

Not sure if there's any more can diagnose to help with raising a support ticket with Vodafone?

Thanks
by anonymous
Hi,

Since your connection works, and the issue is the packet loss, that you are experiencing on your phone too, it does seem like an issue with the network. Maybe the network is overloaded.

Have you tested the packet loss during different time of the day? Is it better early in the morning/night?

Kind Regards,

Andzej