FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
741 views 0 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

first of all, thanks for the support in this forum. I know that many quetions are asked again and again especially from beginners like me.

I already tried to find an answer to my problems in the forum but couldn't. The question may sound very simple.

First of all, I want to say that I have understood the principle of interfaces and assigning the vlan id to the phyiscal settings tab in the interface. I have two very simple questions.

First: Could it be that the predefined VLAN tags 1 and 2 (those you cannot delete) are reserved for first RS45 LAN port and only RS45 WAN port only?

Second: Is there something like eth0.1 or does eth0.1 not exist? My system always crashes if I try to assign eth0.1 to my LAN interface 192.168.1.1/24. Or let's ask following question: Is it necessary, that at least one of the interfaces hast got eth0 assigned to it and not eth0.1?

Thanks.

Regards,
Equi

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

In general, OpenWRT notations such as eth0.x, indicate VLANs. These are virtual interfaces, not physical, they only exist in logical domain. On the other hand, eth0, eth1 are representative of real physical hardware. Virtual interfaces have to be linked to physical ones to be useful.

The network interfaces and switch architectures between devices differ, and the assignment of the interfaces to the devices and VLANs depends. 

If you have two default VLANs, there is a likelihood, that you only have a single physical network interface, eth0, and VLAN IDs 1 and 2 are used by the CPU, which needs the IDs to differentiate between LAN and WAN traffic and perform in accordance.

It would really help to know the model of the device you are trying to configure and your specific configuration to provide more details.

I would also highly recommend to check this and this links to better understand the logic behind VLANs and network interfaces related to OpenWRT upon which RutOS is based. 

Best regards,