FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
599 views 15 comments
by anonymous
Hello guys and girls,

for multiple days now, I am trying to set up a RUT955 as part of a student project. It is needed to establish a remote access to the router and later to the connected PLC. I have done literally everything that any guide/video/user manual tells me to do, to set up the remote connection to the router, via DynDNS. DynDNS is definitly working (tested on different router).

System log says it fails to get the local IP, but I just can't understand why this is happening.

Troubleshoot file is attached!

This is the system log record:

Mon Jan 23 11:20:15 2023 user.warn ddns-scripts[27811]: dynDNS: Get local IP via network failed - retry 50/0 in 60 seconds

Mon Jan 23 11:21:16 2023 user.err ddns-scripts[27811]: dynDNS: network_get_ipaddr Error: 1

Thanks for helping :)

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

There might be a few possible issues here:

• Try selecting the IP address source as Custom and choosing the interface you'd like to reach the router via:

• Currently you have selected the interface WAN, however, I can see that at the moment of generating the troubleshoot file, you did not have a wired Ethernet connection, and were only using a mobile connection. So the IP source should be mob1s1a1
  • You also seem to have a private IP address assigned by the carrier, so unless a private APN is in use, the device will not be reachable over the internet. Make sure your carrier does not require a custom APN to be used to acquire a public IP.
  • If this does not help. then there also seems to be multiple DDNS packages installed on your device. This may cause the service to crash. To remove the unused instance, run this command:

opkg remove ddns-opkg

Let me know if neither of these options helps!

Best regards,
DaumantasG

Best answer
by anonymous
Thanks for the fast response!

Switching the IP source to mob1s1a1 did not help, unfortunately. My SIM-adress starts with 80.187., so it should not be a private adress, right?

Executing the command did nothing. CPI responded: No packages removed.

Kind regards

snecko
by anonymous

Thank you for the information!

During the troubleshoot file generation public IP address was in the 10.xxx.xxx.xxx range, but if mob1s1a1 has a public IP (Network → Interfaces), then this should not be an issue.

Also, there have been some issues reported with dyn.com (for example here), so I'd recommend trying services like noip.com and if that works, follow the steps for generating a key listed in the linked thread.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Correction: You were absolutely right - there's a private IP assigned to the SIM card. Is this fixable by assigning a custom APN for my provider?
by anonymous

This depends on the carrier, but usually, it is a paid service.

However, your operator also seems to offer IPv6 addresses free of charge (more information can be found here). The IPv6 address could be used instead of IPv4, and we also have a configuration example on how to set up noip.com with IPv6 here. If this option will be used, don't forget to change the PDP type to IPv4/IPv6 in the Network → Interfaces → mob1s1a1 settings. APN can be changed in the same place.

Otherwise, you should contact your operator regarding static/dynamic IPv4 address and they'll either activate it on your current APN or you'll have to use the one they provided.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Short update on the matter:

I somehow managed to get things worse...I switched the mob1s1a1 network and APN to IPv6 and its running. So far so good, but now the connection to RMS cannot be established and also WiFi is not working.

I updated the troubleshoot file in the original post.

by anonymous

Can you confirm that your mob1s1a1 interface setting looks like this?

Currently, RMS is IPv4-only, thus it's possible, that you've set PDP to IPv6 mode. The same goes for WiFi, IPv6 requires a special configuration of the LAN interface in DHCP Server → IPv6 Settings. It's best to still have both IP addresses available.

Just noticed that you uploaded a new troubleshoot file. It seems like your carrier is only providing an IPv6 address instead IPv4+IPv6. Could you try using internet.telekom APN and leaving PDP type as IPv4/IPv6? If this gives only the IPv4 address, then most likely requesting a public IPv4 address will be the only way.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
mob1s1a1 interface looks exactly like the screenshot, followed by CHAP authentification type and username + password (provided by mobile carrier on website).

Wi-Fi does connect but internet is not working. Also DynDNS is still not working. I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong?
by anonymous
I've edited my last response with a corrected one.
by anonymous
Update: mob1s1a1 status is UP, so thats a win :)

But unfortunately the SIM card's IP adress is private again. I just don't understand why it is not working with Teltonika gear. I've used a different router before and was able to remotely access my PLC. Switched to Teltonika because it offers much more functions and is more powerful in general.
by anonymous
Would you be able to check what APN was in use with your last device?
by anonymous
old APN: telekom.t-d1.de -> looks like this is an APN that gives you a public IP, but can officially only be used for test reasons

I am now using this APN with the teltonika RUT955 -> Connection is established, Wi-Fi running and RMS is working too, BUT DynDNS is stil not working. New troubleshoot file can be found in the original post
by anonymous

Hello,

Indeed, public IP is now available for the mobile interface.

However, I can see that you're still using interface WAN to acquire the IP address. Please change it to mob1s1a1 and try again.

EDIT: I also noticed, that your ISP is giving out the DNS servers with private IP addresses. This will most likely result in DNS not working. Custom DNS servers can be added to the mob1s1a1 interface, in the Advanced settings. Google or Cloudflare DNS servers could be used (1.1.1.1 or/and 8.8.8.8).

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Unbelievable...everything is working now! Thank you so much for your patience. I really feel like a grandma now, but thank you so much for your help! :)
by anonymous
Glad I could help! :)

Best regards,
DaumantasG
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

It would be helpful if you could provide a troubleshoot file. Please, replicate the issue, by setting your configuration, then access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there. The logs in the file might provide more insight into the issue, it will also let to review your configuration details.

Best regards,

by anonymous
File is attached :)