FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
112 views 2 comments
by anonymous

I am building a camper van/ offroad mobile home and want to have the best possible connection to a mobile network.

I plan to use the router RUTX14 CAT12 4G Router, W126264081 and your colleague recommended antenna PR1KCL28 (COMBO QUAD MOBILE/GNSS roof SMA antenna) as best.

The cable length is 3000mm which is much more than I need. I need a length of 500mm maximum (router will be installed at the direct opposite of the antenna beneath the ceiling). Is there any way to "cut"/reduce cable length to avoid damping? Any recommendation where to buy a plug I can install without having any crimping tools?

If not can you please inform, how the cables should be "stored" away: in parallel, in circle or doesn´t matter.

Thanks for your reply.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

While we do not have official recommendations regarding this, it is definitely not recommended to shorten the coaxial cables, especially without special tools. Cutting and re-splicing them would most likely leave you with a worse signal than you started with, as the impedance of 50Ω will not be maintained. There are special adapters like these:

However, they would still require you to terminate both sides of the cut cable, and without proper tools, SMA connectors cannot be installed easily, especially on thinner cables. So it is better to simply leave the cable at the original length.

As for how to store them away, this should not matter at such short distances, however, the best practice to "coil" up any excess coaxial cable is to loop it and then tie it together in the center of the loop to form a kind of figure "8". That way, you minimize the effect the coil will have on the antenna.

Hope this helped!

Best regards,

DaumantasG

by anonymous
Thanks for your reply.

In german webshops the gain of the antenna is stated with 3 dbi. You state a max of 23 dbi. Which one is correct?

Another question: is it possible to exchange the cables with new ones already fitted with correct plugs? I.e. are the cable screwed to the antenna or soldered?
by anonymous

Hello,

• In german webshops the gain of the antenna is stated with 3 dbi. You state a max of 23 dbi. Which one is correct?
    • We state 28±2 dB for GNSS antenna, and 3 dBi for the LTE antenna:
  • is it possible to exchange the cables with new ones already fitted with correct plugs? I.e. are the cable screwed to the antenna or soldered?
    • The cables are embedded within the antenna to minimize the signal loss, thus are not removable.
Hope this helps!

Best regards,
DaumantasG