FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
218 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

I have three rutx12 devices. With all three I often get the "Internet unavailable" error message (on Windows 10 and 11). On the one in use at the moment (on notebook with Windows 11), I made the following changes:

- firmware update to stable version 00.07.02.7

- manual APN setting

- RMS Settings "enabled" (previously an error message appeared if not configured)

Despite the manual APN setting, I see the Sim cards "ready" but very often I continue to get the message that Internet is not available or Internet is available but it is still not possible to surf the Internet (even on android smartphone). Occasionally after some manual tweaks it seems to work for a short time but when I restart the system it still doesn't work.

I need the system to be reliable and work every time it's turned on as it's used by several colleagues.

Can you tell me how to solve?

I attach the configuration file

Thank you

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The logs show that both SIMs are connected and mobile signal quality is good.

However, there seems to be some incorrectly formatted options for both mobile interfaces in mwan3 configuration file, which is responsible for failover configuration, and, in your case, due to being incorrect, spawning firewall rules, preventing LAN devices to reach internet. 

Changes can be made over SSH, but I'd like you to try updating one of the routers to the latest 7.03.3 firmware version with Keep settings option set to off, and see if you get stable connectivity afterwards, as the issue aforementioned issue should be mitigated in this release.

The firmware image can be downloaded from here.

If the issue persists, upload a troubleshoot file from the updated router.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Hi, thanks a lot for the reply. This is the situation:

- 2 working routers (one had to update the firmware, the other works with the original firmware and APN update, both tested with sims from the same provider and in the same place)

- the third router is instead positioned in a different place and is also a different model (rutx11, on which the same firmware was installed). This router has problems even after the update: only one sim works at a time and not simultaneously. How can this be solved? In the overview screen the second sim does not show the IP address and also on "mobile information" you only see one sim at a time. The other differences are that the working router shows the value "SIM: 1" for both sims while the non-working router shows the values ​​"SIM: 1" and "SIM:2" (network-wan-network interfaces).

Also only the RUTX11 router shows the "sim switch: enable automatic sim switching" menu, how should it be set?

I also need to know if one of the two sims should be selected as the "default sim" in network-mobile.

I'm attaching the new router's troubleshoot file that doesn't work (rutx11, see date 1/2/2023) to the first post because I don't see the option to upload it in this answer.

Thank you very much
by anonymous

Hello,

There is a major difference between RUTX12 and RUTX11.

RUTX12 has two mobile modems, which allow two sims to be operating simultaneously, while RUTX11 only has one, thus it can only be connected to a single carrier at any instance. That is why only one sim works at a time and not simultaneously, and that is how the router should operate. There is nothing that can be done, except replacing it with another RUTX12.

RUTX12 shows SIM: 1 for both sims, due to the logic of interface naming. In Network -> Interfaces page you will notice mob1s1a1 and mob2s1a1 interfaces for mobile, while for RUTX11 these will be named mob1s1a1 and mon1s2a1. Basically the first number denotes the number of the modem, while the second denotes SIM card for that modem. Since RUTX12 has two modems with a single SIM card for a modem, each card is considered as the first SIM for that modem. RUTX11 has a single modem and can have up to two SIMs, thus s1 and s2 in their interface names.

In regards to SIM switch, you need to decide, which SIM you would consider as your primary one, as this SIM will likely be used majority of device's operating time. How you want to set SIM switching is entirely on you, as enabling automatic sim switching will prompt you with a list of options/conditions, when the router should switch to a secondary SIM. The way switch back works, is by setting a timer, after which the device will attempt to switch back to your default SIM.

One of the two sims should be selected as the "default sim".

Best regards,