FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
347 views 2 comments
by anonymous
I just bought an RUT360.

I have 2 existing directional/yagi antennas that I would like to connect to it (they are compatible).

Should I have both antennas pointing to the same tower or could I have each one pointing to a different tower? I prefer the second option of two towers since if one tower went down the other should still be working. But I do not know if pointing to more than one tower will cause any issues with your device or Verizon, etc?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for reaching out!

This really depends on what you prefer - if you want to achieve maximum performance, then both of the antennas should be pointed to the same tower. If you prefer stability - point each of them to a different tower.

If the towers are generally in a similar direction, I'd just point the antennas to one of them, as even the best directional antennas will reach the towers they are not pointed to (but the signal will be weaker).

As for causing any issues - it will not. The router will connect to one tower anyways, so it should be all good, with the exception of a little poorer performance if the antennas will be pointing to different towers.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous
So in my case the 2 towers are 180 degrees apart and both about 6 miles away.

So when you say it will only connect to one tower at a time if I have one antenna pointing one way and the other antenna the other, does it determine which is "active" based on the the one that has the strongest signal or does it always use the MAIN port and failover to the AUX port if the MAIN port loses signal or the signal gets weaker than the main?

Thanks,

Jay
by anonymous

Hello,

Signal strength is mostly used to determine which cell to connect to, but it does not mean, that it cannot change during the operation.

I'd recommend checking out our guide on cell locking or band locking if you prefer one tower over the other.

Best regards,
DaumantasG