FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
821 views 14 comments
by anonymous
I have 16 RUT240 devices spread all over the country with no access to them besides SMS.

In my office I have a similar RUT240 device for testing all settings before roling out to production.

All devices are installed with firmware RUT2_R_00.07.02.07 and should now be updated to RUT2_R_00.07.03.3

I did the following on my test device.

SMS with command "password fw_upgrade" -> device reboot, checked via GUI, no firmwareupdate

10 minutes later

SMS with command "password fw_upgrade" -> device reboot, checked via GUI, firmware updated to RUT2_R_00.07.03.3

SMS with command "password status" -> no anwer from device

Checked via GUI, no incomming SMS.

Send outgoing SMS from GUI, succes!

Checked via GUI, Firmware version up to date, Internal modem firmware Update available!!!

Status: My device is updated to the latest firmware, but a firmware upgrade is available for Internal modem via GUI. I can't communicate by SMS to the device.

Question: Will an update of the internal modem firmware solve the SMS communication problem? If so, can I update this modem firmware by SMS before upgrading device firmware and loosing connection?

If none of the above is possible Teltonika has taken away my possibility to handle my remote devices.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

I was not able to replicate your issue, the device responded to SMS after update via message.

Since you have a local RUT240 for testing, could you login to router via SSH, execute logread -f command and see, if any messages are generated regarding the event in the terminal?

Unfortunately, modem module firmware update is not possible over SMS and the procedure requires a secondary internet source, either wired or wireless.

SMS not working may be due to the gap between firmware releases and possible migration issues.

I would like you to check locally, whether a device reset to factory default settings (login to the WebUI, navigate to System -> Backup -> Restore default settings) does solve the issue and SMS are received?

Otherwise, it would be helpful if you could provide a couple of troubleshoot files from your device:

• One with firmware 7.02.7, generated after sending a couple of SMS to the router.
  • Another, after update via SMS to 7.03.3, also generated after sending a couple of SMS to the router. 

To generate the file, access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot section and download troubleshoot file from there. The logs in the file might provide more insight into the issue. Generated files can be attached by editing your original question.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Thanks for your reply.

I have added logfiles and copies of the logread -f command to my first post.

The logread -f you see on the RUT2_R_00.07.03.3 firmware is with my own settings loaded and i get the excact same result after a factory reset.
by anonymous
Thank you.

Can you confirm that troubleshoot file with 7.03.3 firmware was generated after a device reset to factory defaults?

Best regards,
by anonymous
I have added another troubleshoot file which has been generated in the following way.

SMS restore to factory default
SMS firmware upgrade
SMS for status (failed)
SMS for status (failed)
Troubleshoot file generated from GUI
by anonymous
Thank you for additional details.

I have forwarded your issue to the developers, to provide more insight. Once there are updates, I will update this post.

Best regards,
by anonymous
Hello,

Would it be possible to arrange a remote to your device to look into?

Maybe you have a public IP on your RUT240, or the device added to RMS and you could provide login credentials for remote access for one of our engineers to investigate the matter when the issue is present?

Best regards,
by anonymous
I will setup an environment with access from a public IP.

Information with credentials to the engineers will be sent by private message.
by anonymous
Same problem here..

rut240 with fw 07.03.4.

I can send sms form rut240 but when I try to send an sms to rut240 i read in log:

Fri Feb 17 09:49:06 2023 daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Unable to read sms '0'

if can be useful I'm using sim card of a country other than mine.

PLS FIX!

tthanks
+1 vote
by anonymous

Same problem here..

rut240 with fw 07.03.4.
I can send sms form rut240 but when I try to send an sms to rut240 i read in log:
daemon.err /usr/sbin/sms_utils: Unable to read sms '0'
if can be useful I'm using sim card of a country other than mine.

@ can you fix?

tthanks

by anonymous
The issue is still being worked out by the developers. Currently, solution is set to be included with 7.4.1 firmware release.

Thus it is suggested to stay with the latest working firmware.

Apologies for the inconveniences.

Best regards,
by anonymous
When is 7.04.1 scheduled to release?  I have this issue too.
by anonymous
Have you tried 7.04 version?

Are you able to replicate the issue on it as well?

Could you send a few SMS commands to your device on the latest firmware, generate a troubleshoot file and send it in a private message? I would like to consult the developers.

Best regards,
by anonymous
The 7.04 works fine!
by anonymous
7.04.0 does not work for our eight RUT240s.  They do not receive and can not send SMS.  They are using Verizon network and sim cards, and we have verified in phones that the SIM features are enabled in the service.
by anonymous
Try to disable VOLTE.
by anonymous
Changing VOLTE from Auto to Disabled did not fix the problem.

Upon changing it, the Web page sent an error notification that it could not contact modem