FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
487 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hello,
I'm using Teltonika RUT240 with latest firmware RutOS RUT2_R_00.07.03.

Currently what's missing to me in RutOS and what I would like to have is Mobile LTE Signal Level Statistics History, feature. I'm still surprised nobody asked for this feature to be implemented, yet or I missed something.

I know, I can view current level of LTE signal parameters: RSSI, RSRP, RSRQ, SINR by navigating to Status -> Realtime Data -> Mobile Signal and this is what I expect to get, but it would be nice also to have more collection and store it from longer period of time as aggregated data, not only single drawing graph in real-time data from last few minutes, when viewing this tab, only.

I wish too see that option as separated subTab with statistics history from timeline of last: 24h-Day / 7days-Week / 30-Days Month / Total, same way as it is organised now in 'Mobile Usage' subtab -> it has actually collection of Usage statistics for: Day / Week / Month / Total.

See me picture how it might looks like in GUI.

I would be very helpfull when troubleshooting and further analysing: LTE signal level flapping/disruption (drops of signal) events, possible modem jamming or going offline and logging out of the Operator's BTS, night scheduled work at Operator's network etc.

Thank you in advance,
Robert.

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

It is unlikely that this feature will be implemented in RutOS due to RAM/Flash capacity and wear issues, however, there are a few options on how this could be done using other services:

• SNMP:
    • SNMP service can be used to obtain these parameters and monitor them remotely. The needed OIDs are as follows:
      • .1.3.6.1.4.1.48690.2.2.1.12.1 - RSSI;
      • .1.3.6.1.4.1.48690.2.2.1.19.1 - SINR;
      • .1.3.6.1.4.1.48690.2.2.1.20.1 - RSRP;
      • .1.3.6.1.4.1.48690.2.2.1.21.1 - RSRQ;
    • It seems like there is an SNMP library for Python available, which could be utilized for data collection;
    • Other SNMP OIDs for RUT240 can be found here.
  • Modbus Slave:
    • RUT240 could be set up as a Modbus Slave, and then the onboard Modbus TCP Master could be collecting data from the device itself and send it to your specified location using Data to Server service;
    • This has the advantage of having a database, meaning if the signal is lost, the device will send out all of the collected data when possible (assuming it did not lose power, as the database is stored in RAM);
    • One disadvantage is that currently, as a slave it can only supply RSSI parameter, and not the others;
    • More information can be found here.
  • Modbus custom register block:
    • This feature is quite powerful, as it allows to push any data to a custom file, and then sent it out using Modbus Master and Data to Server features;
    • Any command can be used to write data to the file, so signal strength could be collected using the command gsmtcl -q, written to the custom Modbus register, then Modbus Master would collect this data and send it where needed using the Data to Server feature;
    • More information can be found here.
EDIT: Signal strength is also being stored on RMS, so it can be used to monitor the signal over a period of time. It would also show the downtime, IP address, and more.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
DaumantasG 

by anonymous
Thank you very much for answer and input, I'll give it a try and test out.

Best regards,
Robert.
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Thank you for your input and interest in Teltonika devices.

While there is a benefit of having historic mobile signal data, RUT240 has a very limited memory footprint. 

Though it is possible to workaround this.

For one, you could create a custom script and place it in /etc/rc.local file to continuously run in the background. A very basic implementation of this is below, where the device is told to read mobile signal metrics every 5 seconds and write them to a file. Script shows temporary storage location, lost after device reboot, but it could be saved elsewhere. The file can then be exported using scp/WinSCP.

#!/bin/ash
FILE=/tmp/Signal_data.txt               #Variale for a directory and file, where data should be stored
while [ 1 ]; do                          
Signal=$(gsmctl -q)                     #Variable for signal query 
        echo $(date -u) >> $FILE        #Appending data file with a timestamp
        echo "$Signal" >> $FILE         #Appending data file with signal details
        sleep 5                         #Doing nothing for the next 5 seconds
done

Alternatively, SNMP can be used to gather signal data. For more details, refer here.

Also, MODBUS data sender functionality can be utilized to send signal data to some TCP/HTTP(S) server or a remote MQTT broker, such as Flespi (instructions) or AWS (instructions). In this case you would need to configure custom registers (instructions) to store all signal values, as default configuration only offers RSSI.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Thank you ZygimantasBilu for possible alternative solution, I'll give it a try and test out in free time.

Best regards,
Robert.