FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
539 views 8 comments
by anonymous
Is there any manual how to create an VPN using RUT240? I need to configure the server on RUT240 and two external peers. I can only find documentation about connecting one peer only. As soon as I connect a second peer, the first one lost the way to connect. It is related with this question: https://community.teltonika-networks.com/46714/more-than-peer-wireguard-spoils-older-rut240-latest-firmware

The wiki does not explain how to configure two peers: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/WireGuard_Configuration_Example

Please help!

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Just go to "ADD NEW INSTANCE" below the peers sub-list and add one there. This will give you the possibility to add a new public key, pre-shared key if you use it, new allowed IPs list and so on.

This way your first peer will still be able to connect to the server.

Regards,
by anonymous

If I add a new peer, the first peer loses the connectivity. See the "allowed ips" parameter change:

• Before the peer:

root@Teltonika-RUT240:~# wg
interface: testnet
  public key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  private key: (hidden)
  listening port: XXXXX

peer: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  preshared key: (hidden)
  endpoint: XX.X.XXX.XXX:XXXXX
  allowed ips: 10.115.115.0/24
  persistent keepalive: every 25 seconds

• After adding the peer:

root@Teltonika-RUT240:~# wg
interface: testnet
  public key: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  private key: (hidden)
  listening port: XXXXX

peer: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  allowed ips: (none)
  latest handshake: 3 seconds ago
  transfer: 180 B received, 420 B sent

peer: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
  allowed ips: 10.115.115.0/24
  latest handshake: 7 seconds ago
  transfer: 260 B received, 204 B sent
root@Teltonika-RUT240:~#

by anonymous
  • Before the peer:

• After adding the peer:

by anonymous

With all the values greyed it isn't easy to infer what could be wrong. You can mask the private and pre-shared keys, the public keys are just what they are that is public.

From the "wg" command output the latest handshake occured 3 and 7 seconds before respectively so both peers appear to be active at the same time.

What do you mean exactly by "the first peer loses the connectivity" ? The Allowed IPs fields don't look right for me.

by anonymous
Sorry, I didn't explain myself properly.

I have access to internet, but as soon as I add the second peer, the first peer cannot ping the server or the second peer and the parameter "allowed ips"  is set as "(none)"
by anonymous
As the address of the wg interface on the RUT is 10.115.155.1/32 you should set different values for the peers for example 10.115.115.2/32 and 10.115.115.3/32 and the same values at minima for the Allowed IP. On the peer themselves set the IP address of the wg interface to 10.115.115.2/32 (10.115.115.3/32 on the second) and the Allowed IP value to 10.115.115.0/24.

This way there should not be any conflict and the wg interfaces should be pingable from the other end.
by anonymous

This is the way I have it, the first peer has the IP 10.115.115.3 and the second peer the IP 10.115.115.2

FIRST PEER (PC)----------------------------

[Interface]
Address = 10.115.115.3/32
PrivateKey = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Peer]
PublicKey = V/sf9Jxi1urYoonijXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
PresharedKey = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXoXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AllowedIPs = 10.115.115.0/24, 10.115.115.2
Endpoint = XX.XX.X.X:51820
PersistentKeepalive = 25

SECOND PEER ---------------------------

[Interface]
Address = 10.115.115.2/32
PrivateKey = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

[Peer]
PublicKey = V/sf9Jxi1urYoonijXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
PresharedKey = XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXoXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
AllowedIPs = 10.115.115.0/24
Endpoint = XX.XX.X.X:51820
PersistentKeepalive = 25

This is the configuration on the router:

The first peer:

The second peer is similar except for the public key, presahred key and the description

by anonymous
1) AllowedIPs = 10.115.115.0/24, 10.115.115.2

This is not correct, the correct value is 10.115.115.2/32

2) Idem for the second peer set AllowedIPs to 10.115.115.3/32

3) On the peers themselves set AllowedIPs to 10.115.115.0/24 in the local wg.conf file (or config menu).
by anonymous
Thank you very much, now it works perfect. I was confused about the "AllowedIPs" in the peer form, it is the IP of the peer, not the addresses that the peer accepts (which are specified in the configuration file of the peer machine).