FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
465 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hello everyone, sorry but It will be a little long, as I want to express all my issues with the router.

I will try to explain my setup and the issues I'm having. I'm using a RUT240 with a maxroam view MIMU omnidirectional antena on the top of my RV.

1) I was having major issues with the maxroam view app, and how it connected to the device. I was running RUT2XX_R_00.01.14.6 firmware, had to make a few reboots in order to get connected, and even when I get connected, inside the maxroam view app, it showed I was connected, but not via SIM. This is probably a maxview roam app issue, but wanted to let you know. The issue I was having with this firmware, is that I was at a off grid place, when there was little to zero signal, my phone from time to time got signal, but the problem was the RUT240 did NOT connect, not even one, even with the strong antena at the top...Could this be a firmware issue? It's not normal that I can get a signal with my cell phone, and using this product that is supposed to captures signal miles away much more than any cell phone, to not be able to. I have now updated to RUT2_R_00.07.03.4 and when connecting to the internet with the sim inside, in the maxview roam app I get a totally different way of connecting, on the ethernet side. On the sim side, it says it cannot find any sim card in place, which is super strange...And this is without LAN port being used...again maxroam view app bug? It's really strange how different firmwares work differently with the maxview roam app. Another thing, I cannot connect to any existing. I will try with this new firmware, when I go to the same place with almost zero cell covarage, if the router will connect with the maxview roam antena, because on the legacy firmware, not even once did it connect.

2) My second issues is the wifi speed...I know the RUT240 uses a CAT4 modem, and most new smart phones use a CAT6 modem. With around -50/-60dbi (cell tower is 100m away) of connection with the router using 4g, and not the maxview roam antena, but a external antena, I get around 15-20mbit speed download, from the wifi from the router network. My phone with the same 4g sim card, the same place gets 50-70mbits... CAT4 should be up to 150mbit, so the modem should not be a problem and I'm sure if I get the RUT360 with CAT6, the speeds should not be any different. What I have tried and worked around, is connecting secondary router/access point to the LAN port of the RUT240(a tplink eap-225 outdoor), and I get way better download speed from the second router...So my question is, why is that? The RUT240 should be able to pump out 150mbit with the CAT4 modem.

I'm kind of dissapointed, because I have tried different 4g sim cards, with speeds of 70mbit, 150mbit on my smart phone, and when these sim cards are used by the RUT240, the speed drops massively, and I know these specs for the  CAT4 speeds are in perfect conditions...but still 15-20mbit?

Anyone else experience these issues, or similar?

Thank you all for your time.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

1)

"I was having major issues with the maxroam view app."

Maxroam app is not developed by Teltonika, thus I cannot comment on that in much detail.

"I was at a off grid place, when there was little to zero signal, my phone from time to time got signal, but the problem was the RUT240 did NOT connect, not even once."

It is difficult to estimate the exact reason without having the logs from the device, but, if the area you have tested your device in, really had almost no coverage, then the device may simply have not detected the signal. After all, it only has LTE Cat 4 modem, which lacks sensitivity and advanced signal processing features. 

One thing that could be attempted is to try different  LTE bands manually. For a guide, please refer to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAkjQ6a2qdc

"Another thing, I cannot connect to any existing."

Could you expand on what is it that you cannot connect to?

Also, is the place with almost zero cell coverage your intended spot for device use, or did you simply go there for testing purposes?

2)

"RUT240 uses a CAT4 modem, and most new smart phones use a CAT6 modem"

This assumption is slightly incorrect, as flagman smartphones can have modems with LTE categories 20 and above.

I get around 15-20mbit speed download, from the wifi from the router network.

If you are connected to the 4G network and 15 - 20Mb is all available bandwidth, devices connected via WiFi will not achieve greater speeds. If that is not the case, you can try logging to the router's WebUI, navigating to Network -> Firewall -> General settings and try enabling Software flow offloading option.

"My phone with the same 4g sim card, the same place gets 50-70mbits... CAT4 should be up to 150mbit, so the modem should not be a problem and I'm sure if I get the RUT360 with CAT6, the speeds should not be any different."

As mentioned, your phone likely has a more advanced modem and thus is capable of reaching higher speeds. The 150Mb is a theoretical limit achievable under ideal conditions, but in reality lower performance can be expected due to factors such as tower load, bandwidth, weather conditions, frequency, multipath fading, interference, reflections, etc. The major difference between Cat 4 and Cat 6 modems is that Cat 6 is capable to aggregate two LTE bands, meaning that it is most likely to achieve higher throughput simply because it can combine it from multiple channels. 

"The RUT240 should be able to pump out 150mbit with the CAT4 modem."

Under certain conditions only, as actual performance is impacted by many independent variables. 

Best regards,

by anonymous

Hi, and thanks for your detailed answer.

"It is difficult to estimate the exact reason without having the logs from the device, but, if the area you have tested your device in, really had almost no coverage, then the device may simply have not detected the signal. After all, it only has LTE Cat 4 modem, which lacks sensitivity and advanced signal processing features. "

Well, isn't this the point of the external MIMO strong omnidirectional antena, to catch signals from further away? It's not normal that my phone barely connects to the network, but the RUT240 + MIMO strong antena can't...Would the RUT360 with CAT6 have a better sensitivity and more advanced signal proccessing, and in the same situation theoretically the RUT360 will perform better and connect to a weaker signal than the RUT240?

"Also, is the place with almost zero cell coverage your intended spot for device use, or did you simply go there for testing purposes?"

Actually the place is not just a testing purpose place, but a ski resort, in the mountains where I plan to use the RUT + Antena. I was under the impression that the antena if there is very little signal, can pick is up from further away, and boost it to the RUT, so I can have LTE signal.

"This assumption is slightly incorrect, as flagman smartphones can have modems with LTE categories 20 and above."

You are right about that, I meant at least CAT6. Is this why the same card on a smartphone that has a CAT20 gets up to 160mbit, and the CAT4 RUT240 gets 15-20mbit?

"As mentioned, your phone likely has a more advanced modem and thus is capable of reaching higher speeds. The 150Mb is a theoretical limit achievable under ideal conditions, but in reality lower performance can be expected due to factors such as tower load, bandwidth, weather conditions, frequency, multipath fading, interference, reflections, etc. The major difference between Cat 4 and Cat 6 modems is that Cat 6 is capable to aggregate two LTE bands, meaning that it is most likely to achieve higher throughput simply because it can combine it from multiple channels. "

I understand, so the higher CAT modem, the higher expected speeds, even though that on the CAT4 I have not reached even 20% of the max 150mbit limit? Using CAT6 I should see higher speeds with the same exact conditions as the CAT4 modem?

The interesting part is when I connect a not so expensive router/access point to the LAN port (TP-Link EAP-225 outdoor), half the price of the RUT240, the speed through the LAN port is significantly higher, and the TP-Link is able to put out much higher speeds. It's really annoying having an expensive RUT240 router(capable ot 150mbit speeds), using a data plan sim card that has 70-100mbit download speed plan, and only having 15-20mbit through the wifi of the RUT240, and now I have to connect another access point to the lan port, to achive higher speeds...My phone just know got 160mbit, same card, same place...

Thanks again for your detailed answers!

by anonymous

Well, isn't this the point of the external MIMO strong omnidirectional antenna, to catch signals from further away?

That is correct, however, in your case it seems to be insufficient. RUT360 will definitely be an improvement, but it has to be tested. As suggested previously, you could try settings different LTE bands, as sometimes, they may have higher throughput, but due to worse characteristics are not selected by the modem. 

If the device is set to be in a stationary location, and location of cell tower is known, a directional antenna can also be tested, as they usually provide better gain. 

I was under the impression that the antenna if there is very little signal, can pick is up from further away, and boost it to the RUT, so I can have LTE signal.

You can monitor mobile signal values the device receives, by logging to its web interface and navigating to Status -> Network -> Mobile. Specifically, check Signal strength, RSRP, RSRQ and SINR values. For reference, what can be expected at certain values, check this link.

Is this why the same card on a smartphone that has a CAT20 gets 70-100mbit, and the CAT4 RUT240 gets 15-20mbit?

That is most likely.

Using CAT6 I should see higher speeds with the same exact conditions as the CAT4 modem?

That is correct.

TP-Link EAP-225 supports 2×2 MIMO technology and also 5GHz frequency band, which allows for significantly higher throughputs, though reduced transmission distance due to increased attenuation of 5GHz radio waves.

Also, have you tried enabling Software flow offloading option in the router, does it provide any improvement?

Best regards,