FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
76 views 2 comments
by anonymous
I have about 75 Teltonika devices in the field - some TRB-245, RUT240, RUT360.

I am having difficulty at a site with 3x TRB245's that are all within about 500m of each other.

One of the three is working perfectly, but the other two have gone offline and don't return.  

The site is remote to me - about 1000km away - so I cannot easily diagnose and today I had the client reboot one of the units for me.  It stayed online for a bit more than 4 hours according to RMS.

The RSSI at around - 70dbm and the RSRP around -100dbm.

When this unit went offline, I do not even get a response when request "status" from them using SMS.

When the unit was online today I noted in the logs that it had been rebooting every half our due to me setting the ping reboot feature.  However this is not bringing the unit back online - only a power cycle is fixing it.

The firmware on this unit is TRB_R_00.07.03.2      I don't think firmware is the issue because I have one of the units there working perfectly using the same version and it is only about 500m away.

I could really use some help as this unit is required for a safety system on a mine site.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

If the device is completely unreachable, then it's quite hard to diagnose the issue. However, please keep in mind, that an RSRP of -100dBm is very close to the disconnection zone. Signal strength recommendations can be found here. It could be that the devices disconnect when the weather conditions worsen, and the signal strength drops even more. This would explain why the device does not even respond to SMS messages. Another way to check historic signal levels could be to open up the device on RMS and open the Metrics tab. Select a longer time period and check what the signal levels were just before the device went offline and just after it came back up.

When the device comes online, I'd like you to generate a troubleshoot file from the device. This way the logs will hopefully indicate what went wrong and why was the device unreachable. Troubleshoot file can be generated directly in the RMS, by selecting the device in question, hovering over the Actions tab, and pressing the Export troubleshoot option. Another way could be to log into the device and navigate to System → Administration → Troubleshoot. This file can be attached to the original post and will only be visible to Teltonika moderators.

As for ping reboot, could you try setting it to reboot the modem only, and not the entire device? If the issue is mobile-related, then restarting the modem will be enough and it will not delete the logs, however, if a full reboot does not help, this will most likely not help as well.

Best regards, 
DaumantasG

by anonymous

Thankyou for the quick response. I will generate the troubleshoot file next time the device comes online and reply here.

Yes, I realise that -100db, for RSRP is not great.  But interestingly I currently have a couple of RUT240 that have been online for 29 days and they have a reported RSRP of -120dbm!  How can this be true?   See below:

by anonymous
Hello,

RUT240 uses multiple antennas, which can greatly improve signal quality where the signal levels are quite poor. As TRB245 only uses a single antenna, it does not have this advantage.

Poor signal levels may not be the main issue here, but without the troubleshoot file, this is the main thing we could suspect at the moment.

Also, the Status page on the router itself only shows the live data, it does not keep historic data points, RMS Metrics tab should be used for that.

Best regards,
DaumantasG