FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
177 views 3 comments
by anonymous
hi, does anyone have experience with expressvpn or nordvpn installed on rut240 (RUT24006XXXX - FW RUT2_R_00.07.03.3). I tried both services choosing many servers, even very close to my location, but the connection speed (download) always drops from 30mbps to about 4. I don't know if it's a settings problem or a hardware limit. 
These are the settings 

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Indeed, it seems like this is a hardware limitation. Using a 1Gbps link (which RUT240 cannot saturate due to a 100Mbps Ethernet port either way), I was able to achieve a 6 Mbps download and very similar upload speeds. I'd also recommend exploring IPsec and WireGuard options for NordVPN, as they (especially WireGuard) use much less overhead, thus allowing the client to reach higher speeds.

However, the configuration for both seems quite complicated, so I'd recommend backing up the router configuration before configuring IPsec or WireGuard.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try setting up IPsec or WireGuard. However I was thinking of using the rut240 simply in bridge mode connected to another router on a machine with a more powerful cpu equipped with AES-NI, I think this should solve.

Best regards
Alessandro
by anonymous
Hello,

If you already have RUT240 on hand, then that might be the best way if you need more processing power. Please keep in mind, that the device will not be manageable unless the static IP in the previously used LAN range is set on the device.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous

Icona di Verificata con community
hello, in the end I solved it by purchasing a cheap hp t620 on which I installed pfsense and configured nordvpn. the RUT240 is in passthrough mode. Runs perfectly with no speed drop.