FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,323 views 2 comments
by

Hi guys

I have RUT950 on the local lan - i have renamed this to something.local by changing /etc/config/dhcp

config dnsmasq
[...]
option domain 'something.local'

I have also managed to set conditional dns forwarding by adding to /etc/config/dhcp

config dnsmasq
[...]
list server '/something.local/10.0.0.10'
option rebind_protection '0'

Router acts as DNS Server for the computers on the LAN

When I do:

1. nslookup google.com

Observed: First two dns requests time out and third one resolves.
Expected Result: It should resolve DNS without the first two timeouts?

2. nslookup PC1

Observed: Request to RUT950.something.local timed-out
Expected Result: It should be checking 10.0.0.10 with request to PC1.something.local and resolving it?

3. nslookup PC1.something.local

Observed: Request to RUT950.something.local timed-out
Expected Result: It should be checking 10.0.0.10 with request to PC1.something.local and resolving it?

4. nslookup PC1 10.0.0.10

Observed and Expected - correct response is received - showing PC1.something.local and its IP Address

5. nslookup PC1.something.local 10.0.0.10

Observed and Expected - correct response is received - showing PC1.something.local and its IP Address

Can you please help me fix 1,2,3 so that it works as per expected result?

Does it have something to do with the default lines that are in /etc/config/dhcp:

config dnsmasq
[...]
option domainneeded '1'
option localise_queries '1'
option expandhosts '1'

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
by
That thread was created by me too. You can see it was implemented in the config above.

However the behavior is not as expected.
by

ok I seem to have a bit more info on what is potentially failing. DNS server at 10.0.0.10 is to be reached via the WAN interface.

See this thread here on how I got the routing to work:

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/6066/routing-via-wan-no-nat

However it seems when I do the DNS lookup or originate any traffic from the router itself (172.18.1.254) its going out as public IP of the WAN interface and this is why 10.0.0.10 cannot respond back.

Any other host on the network can query DNS 10.0.0.10 and I get a response back. However from the router itself (SSH) when I do nslookup PC1.something.local 10.0.0.10 it doesn't work.