FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,010 views 7 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I recently tried the solution in htis question, to upgrade an RUT240 modem, from a local modem firmware update directory.

https://community.teltonika-networks.com/52937/there-modem-upgrade-procedure-without-alternative-connection?show=52937#q52937

However, when I tried to use WinSCP to copy the update folder to the routers /tmp directory, the upload failed repeatedly at about 20%, causing the router to reboot.

I also tried creating the update folder in the tmp directory, then copying the files across to it, but that had the same result. Also, after the router rebooted, Win SCP reported that the update folder didnt exist when I tried to access it, even though I could see it.

I may be missing a permissions step, but your help copying the folder from the laptop to the router wold be appreciated, thanks.
by anonymous

Same here,

We have several RUT240 stuck with RUT2_R_00.07.02.7 (which is the last workable one with our modem firmware version : EC25EFAR02A06M4G).

We were in touch with ZygimantasBliu who guided us through a lot of things to solve our problem (all the hints we can find in this forum and some more) but with no positive results.

The modem inside our routers is the EC25E one.

We are looking for the EC25EFAR06A13M4G_20.002.20.002 firmware from Quectel (which is the last up to date version regarding the result of the command "modem_updater -g") without any success (all the links we found are dead).

The last thing we didn't tested was the local update but unfortunately, ZygimantasBliu don't reply anymore to our demands (private ones).

Could you please provide us this file as we really need to update our modems to continue to use zerotier services (which are deprecated for our use with the actual version of the package found inside the RUT2_R_00.07.02.7 firmware) ?

We asked Quectel but no answer.

Thank you.

Regards,

JFR 

by anonymous
Hi,

As I have already mentioned in this thread, you cannot fit modems firmware image into RUT240. It does not have enough space.

Also, you probably received instructions on how to update your modem. Are you having some issue updating your modem by following those instructions?

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous

Hi Andzej,

We followed all the instructions and provided to ZygimantasBliu the troubleshoot file each time. It didn't worked and  ZygimantasBliu did'nt replied to our last message and since we are stuck with our five modems.

Regards,

JFR

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Could you please clarify what issues you are experiencing and why you need to update the firmware of your modem? It is generally advised to avoid updating the modem's firmware unless there is a specific reason to do so.

Based on the limited memory available on the RUT240, it is possible that this is why you are having difficulty copying the update folder to it. Additionally, the forum thread you referenced is for the RUTX09, which has a different modem from that of RUT240. Therefore, that particular modem firmware is not appropriate for your RUT240.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Hi Andzej. The issue with our 60 odd RUT240's is that the upgrading to any of the 7.x firmwares causes the modem to not recognise the Vodafone SIM inserted in them, which worked fine at 1.14.5. However, if I then upgrade the modem firmware to the latest on the Teltonica site, the modem starts working fine again, and in fact better. I guess there may be some calls from the new 7.x router firmware that arent recognised by the older modem firmware, but I havent put much time into working it out. I have upgraded many of the RUT240 modems firmware using those on the Teltonika server, and that works fine, however, I wish to experiment with a later firmware from the Quectel site on one RUT240.

I am aware that the post I referenced was for a different router (which also has a different modem), but presumed the same method may work for a locally loaded modem update file on an RUT240. There is plenty of space in the flash for the update folder; the issue appears to be that the update folder just wont write to the tmp folder using WinSCP, and I suspect I may be missing some step. If you have any thoughts on the problem I'd be interested to hear them.
by anonymous
Hi,

To clarify, the modems come with firmware pre-installed. Modem's firmware is not developed by Teltonika. Hence, there's no difference if you use the firmware provided by Teltonika instead or Quectel.

Regarding uploading files to the /tmp folder, there shouldn't be any issues. However, the problem is that there is limited memory available, and the /tmp folder is stored in the RAM. When the RAM gets full, the device will reboot. This is the likely cause of your issue. Keep in mind that most of the memory on the device is already taken by other services running on the device. Hence, the userspace memory is even more limited. The flash memory is only around ~4-5 MB and /tmp RAM is about 30MB.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Hi Andzej,

After a bit more checking, you are indeed correct ( not surprisingly) that there isnt enough flash to store the firmware on the RUT240; my mistake.

I understand that theres no difference between Quectels and Teltonikas firmwares, but there is a difference in the versions available. I got sent version EC25AUFAR06A09M4G_01.001.01.001 from Quectel, which is several versions newer than the one on Teltonikas site (EC25AUFAR06A06M4Gxxxxxxxxx I think?). Would it be possible to place the latest one on the Teltonika site so that it could be used in the modem_updater update process, if it offers any improvement to the modem?

Thanks again for your responses previously; Teltonikas mod support is excellent.

Tony
by anonymous
Hi,

I have sent you a private message.

Kind Regards,

Andzej