FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
427 views 9 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

How can I deploy the automatique reboot as in https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/wikibase/index.php?title=RUT241_Auto_Reboot&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop without having to connect to each of my devices ?

Thank you!

2 Answers

+1 vote
by anonymous

Hello,

This depends on how you are reaching the devices, but the best option would be to use RMS:

RMS will allow you to reach and monitor the devices even if they do have a public IP. RMS can also be used to connect directly to uplink/downlink devices using RMS Connect, and multiple devices can be added to a single VPN Hub. However, for your use case, there are a few options:

• If all of your devices have identical order codes and the same or newer firmware versions, then the backup feature could be used. A backup could be taken from a single configured device and uploaded to the rest of the devices. Instructions on how to generate a backup file in RMS can be found here, and how to upload it here. More general information about the backups can be found here.
  • Using the newly introduced RMS Task Manager. This feature can be used to run the same commands on multiple devices. More information can be found here. If you decide to go this route, let me know and I'll provide the commands to configure Auto Reboot on your devices.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous
Hello, thank you for your quick response.

Would the backup route modify the SIM card's pin code, Wi-Fi password, network settings, etc.?

I think we might go with the RMS Task Manager route. Could you please give me the commands to setup the auto reboot ?

Best Regards,

Alexandre Rapaille
by anonymous

Hello,

Backups will leave the SIM PIN untouched. However, WiFi passwords, network settings, etc. will be restored from the backup. Meaning they will be the same as on the device that the backups were taken from.

As for the RMS task manager, as the device already has a ping reboot option pre-configured, this will depend if you'd like to keep the existing setting and only enable the rule, or create a different one. To simply enable the existing rule, this is how the Task should be set up:

• In RMS, navigate to the Task manager tab;
  • Press Add button;
  • Pask group name: Enable_ping_reboot;
  • Task name: Enable_rule
  • Commands: 

uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].enable='1'

uci commit ping_reboot

/etc/init.d/ping_reboot restart

• Everything else can be left as is. Press the Save button in the top-right corner;
  • The final configuration should look like this:

To change the different values in the rule, we'll need to add some additional commands. For example:

• Change Action:
    • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='1' - Device reboot (default)
    • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='2' - Modem reboot
    • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='3' - No action
    • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='4' - (Re)register
    • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='5' - Restart mobile connection
    • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='6' - Send SMS
      • uci add ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].number='<mobile_number>' - where the SMS will be sent
      • uci add ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].message='<message_text>' - text of the SMS message
  • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].time='5' - set the interval between checks
  • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].host='<IP_address_of_host>' - IP address of the host, that pings will be sent to
  • uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].retry='2' - How many times should the pings try to be sent
So for example, if you'd like to change the IP address of the host and set the action to modem reboot, the full list of commands would look like this:

uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].enable='1'

uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].action='2'

uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].host='1.1.1.1'

uci commit ping_reboot

/etc/init.d/ping_reboot restart

Save the commands and navigate to the Devices page. Select the devices that this rule should be executed on (they need to be online). Select the Management drop-down menu and select Execute task. Press the Play icon on the created rule. The result should look like this:

Let me know if any more help is needed!

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Hello,

I think the first option answer my question ! thank you very much for this quick response !
by anonymous
Glad I could help!

Best regards,
DaumantasG
0 votes
by anonymous

Hi, 

We tried to use the ping_reboot. It is configured as follows:

Unfortunately, it seems to be not running. After disconnecting the WAN port from Internet access, the gateway does not reboot. 

The firmware version is RUT2M_R_00.07.01.6
Is there anything wrong in the configuration ? 

Thanks for your help !

by anonymous
Hello,

For ping reboot to trigger with the specified rules at least 10 minutes have to pass. This can be brought down to 5 by changing the retry option to 1.

If the router does not reboot, I would recommend updating to the latest firmware without the Keep settings option enabled, as your firmware is quite old and I wrote the instructions for the new firmware, so the configuration might be different.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous
Hello,

Where are the 5 or 10 minutes set ? Is this a parameter that we cannot configure ?

Unfortunately, upgrading the firmware without keeping the configuration is not option. We already have a few routers in production with specific configurations.

Best regards,
by anonymous

Hello,

The amount of retries is configured with the command 

uci set ping_reboot.@ping_reboot[0].retry='2' - How many times should the pings try to be sent

Simply replace the 2 with 1 and it should take at most 5 minutes to detect that something is wrong. This parameter sets how many times the pings will be tried within the 5-minute intervals.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
I guess the 5 minutes interval is not something that can be configured to another value?

Thanks!
by anonymous
Sorry, that's correct, 5 minutes is the lowest value possible.

Best regards,
DaumantasG