FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
590 views 10 comments
by anonymous
Dear Experts,

I have a system which contains 10 PLCs (each PLC with RUT955) and 2 SCADA PCs at different locations and I need to establish communication remotely between the 2 main SCADA and the 10 PLCs, I will use static IP SIM cards at each PLC.
So, I have 3 questions regarding the A/M system:

1. IS RUT955 supports PROFINET communication which used mainly with SIEMENS PLC platform?

2. Can I connect each (PLC+ RUT955) to two different SCADA at different locations?

3. if I'm using static IP landline at SCADA side so, Is it required to add RUT955 at SCADA side also or no need?

Attached the expected system architecture for any comments.
Thanks.
by anonymous
Hi,

Profinet-IO is layer 2, not routeable and real-time so a 4G connection is certainly not a good match for that. But the scada comms to the S7 plc's is, depending on the type (1X00 will work), mostly some s7 protocol over tcp/ip and that is no problem for the rut's! Siemens also calls that 'profinet', but it's (luckily) plain tcp/ip underneath.

Yes you can connect Scada's simultaneously to the plc's depending only at avaialble conenction resources in the plc's (and scada).

No, don't need a rut at the Scada side but read on.

I wouldn't connect any plc to a internet public address! I would use at least some sort of access control or a vpn to access the plc. As long as the scada side has a public address the plc don't need a public address and could setup a vpn (wireguard, openvpn or other) to the scada's. There you could use the scada or a rut as vpn server.

Or you could indeed, with some plc programming, use modbus tcp.

hih,

I didn't see any attachment..
by anonymous

Please find the below Architecture if you have any comments 
Also, can I use the RUT as only a media carrier for PROFINET or can not?

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

At the moment, Teltonika devices do not support PROFINET, but there is a possibility that it may be supported in the future. However, it is important to note that PROFIBUS will not be supported.

Despite this, it is worth considering that the Siemens S7-1200 PLC can support Modbus. Thus, it could be feasible to incorporate Modbus into your solution. With Modbus, you can send Modbus TCP requests to RUT955, either through a public IP or VPN connection. The RUT955 will then forward these requests to your Siemens PLC, allowing for communication between the devices.

Could you please tell me if Modbus is a viable option for you? Then I will be able to assist you with Modbus configuration if needed.

Kind Regards,

Andzej
by anonymous
Dear Andzej,
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Can I use the RUT as only a media carrier for PROFINET or can not?
Also, I would be thankful if you could provide me the MODBUS configuration.
Thanks.
by anonymous

Hi,

As I have already mentioned before, PROFINET is not supported on Teltonika devices.

In case you decide to use Modbus, there are two ways to do so. 

I assume you have a private network and your RUT955 and SCADA can communicate with each other using their respective IP addresses. If your SCADA can be configured as Modbus TCP Master, you can read Modbus data directly from the PLC without configuring Modbus TCP Master or 'Data to Server' on RUT955. This way, you should be able to send Modbus requests from SCADA to PLC, if possible, via its private IP address. It is also possible to create a port forwarding rule to redirect Modbus packets coming to RUT955 to your PLC (Modbus port 502 by default).

You can also configure RUT955 to read data from the slave and then this collected data can then be sent to your server (SCADA) via the 'Data to Server' functionality. For this, you will need to configure your PLC as a Modbus TCP slave and your RUT device as Modbus TCP Master. Then, you can configure RUT to request information from the PLC. The information can be sent via HTTP or MQTT protocol. Your SCADA PC and will need to accept this information. Also, since you have a private network, I assume that your RUT955 can reach your SCADA via its IP address. 

Kind Regards,

Andzej

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi, I've no further comments, diagram as expected

"Also, can I use the RUT as only a media carrier for PROFINET or can not?"

I don't understand the question, sry. The switch in the RUT will transport profinet traffic there could be gremlins. Some switches have problems wrt vlan priorities used by the L2 profinet-io. As a router it won't transport profinet-io b/c non-routable. Specify which protocol is used by the scada, more detailed than 'profinet'. Most likely it isn't pn-io.

Or look at the Siemens solution for this which for sure is way more expensive..

by anonymous

Hi Notandor,
Thanks for your help,

By simpler way I have 2 sides, SCADA side is Wonderware intouch 2023 which using  DASSIDirect drive to handle S7- protocole and at other side is S7-1200 PLC which need to connect both sides remotly by RUT 955
The question here what is the best configuration for RUT 955 to achieve the connection of both sides.
Thanks.

by anonymous
Looks like ww is using s7 iso over tcp/ip. Following recipe:

1. make sure ww talks directly  to a local 1200

2. set up a (open)vpn with 2 ruts, 1 rut has public ip addres and is server, other is client

3. ww can now setup connection to 1200 through vpn

4. extend to 2 scada's + 10 1200's

option: vpn server or client can be software only (rut only needed for mobile connection)

I'm using this with Weintek hmi's and 1200's  so pretty sure it works apart from the ww driver.

succes!
by anonymous
unfortunately, due to cyber security issues, the client not allowed to use any internet connection or something like this.
our solution will use private APN with private static IP which hasn't internet connection, it looks like a local network inside one country and I can't access to the network from outside network.

Thanks.
by anonymous
Ok, I'm not familiar with this mobile setup but it looks like 2 rut's make a ptp connection? If that's so and it's save you don't need the vpn and can connect directly. Do you have any reference to this 'private' apn service?
by anonymous
Yes seems so. I'd expect both rut's get a an fixed private ip address. The rest is setting up pretty standard routing between the sites. Optionally you could use masquerade in the rut to work around the 1200 routing limitations for more complex setups ( you can only define a default gateway)
by anonymous
You can find more details about the used SIM cards at the below link:
https://www.stc.com.sa/content/stc/sa/en/business/connect/data/ip-vpn.html

Moreover, I will try to define it as a default gateway and see the result.