FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
165 views 0 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

I would need a router to be connected to the car ignition (so only with ignition on the router will be on).

I wanted to ask if this can somehow damage the hardware, since surely, there will be numerous power-ups, even of a few seconds and at close distances.

How long is the BOOT time of the devices on average?

I was thinking of a RUT955, would that be okay?

Thank you very much

3 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
There is a very high chance of voltage spikes/drops during ignition, and even when running the engine.

So, at least to use a timed relay, to switch on/off power to the RUT after certain time of stable onboard power/power loss

For a professional install, a (small) battery buffer (even better: UPS) takes care of stable power to the RUT, when engine running. And avoids power down of RUT because of short interruptions.

The RUT955 to be discontinued, soon.
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

We have a Wiki article regarding vehicle ignition detection, which can be found here.

Regarding your further concerns:

• Repeated reboots should not damage the device, as it is designed to be powered off without any shutdown signal. What is important to look out for, are voltage spikes, as they can damage the device. However, if the vehicle operates on a 12V electrical system, this should not be an issue;
  • The boot time of RUT955 depends on the firmware version, however, it can be assumed that the cold boot takes 1 to 1.5 minutes;
  • And yes, RUT955 should be perfectly fine for this situation. If various inputs/outputs are not needed, the RUT951/950/901 can also be considered to save on some cost.
Let us know if any more information is needed!

Best regards,
DaumantasG 

0 votes
by anonymous

For a professional install, a (small) battery buffer (even better: UPS) takes care of stable power to the RUT, when engine running. And avoids power down of RUT because of short interruptions. Regards apkworlds.com