FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
785 views 5 comments
by anonymous

RUTX50.   RUTX_R_00.07.03.4 firmware.

Hi, This is a new unit so I'm testing connections and speeds. When I first put the SIM card into the unit I get 5g download speeds over 150Mbps.  and 5G upload speed around 13 Mbps after a few minutes this drops to around 30 Mbps down or less and stays there. Upload drops to 4-5 Mbps.

If I remove the sim and then push it back in my speeds go back to over 150Mbps for a few minutes and then back down to around 30 Mbps. Im connected to the RUTX50 by a short ethernet cat 6 cable. Both 4G and 5G lights are on Signal strength -70. Is this normal for a 5G router? My iPhone 5G  gets around 120Mbps in the same spot. I have tried 2 SIM cards with the same result. Is this a 5G network issue throttling the speed or possibly a setting on the router?

Any help would be much appreciated. 

Stuart

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

This sounds like it could definitely be an issue with the operator throttling. If that is the case, I'd recommend setting a fixed TTL on the outgoing packets. Configuration example on how this can be done can be found on this thread.

However, there are other ways that the operator could determine if you're using a router, which might not be as easy to work around.

Another thing I'd recommend, is updating to v7.4.1 of RutOS. In the Network -> Firewall -> General make sure the software offloading is enabled.

One last thing that can be tried, is testing a speedtest with the phone hotspot. If you connect the PC to your phone via the hotspot feature, run an extended speed test, and the speeds also drop, this is another good indication.

Operators like to avoid an extended load to their network, so this may not even be a router-related throttling, but rather speed throttling in general after a higher amount of bandwith was used on the device.

Best regards,

DaumantasG

by anonymous
Hi to upload to v7. 4.1 is that the same thing as upgrading firmware?
by anonymous

Hello,

Correct. Firmware can be downloaded here, or on the device itself by navigating to System → Firmware → Update Firmware.

Best regards,
DaumantasG

by anonymous
Thank you for your help and advice I will try all of your suggestions

Thank you

Stuart
by anonymous

Thank you DaumantasG

Fxing TTL on the outgoing packets did the trick first time, thank you so much!

Kindest Regards

Stuart

by anonymous
Glad it helped!

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best regards,
DaumantasG