FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
293 views 9 comments
by anonymous
Good morning,

We have a significant number of RUT955's out in the field, supplied by UK Authorised Teltonika Dealer.    We recently purchased two of the BAT120 UPS Units, and the aim was to test in the field with a view to adding this to our RUT955's.

2 were installed along with the RUT955, and all was going well until last week when we found that the BAT120 was failing to keep the RUT955 running when the power supply was cut.

The BAT120 had been connected to the mains power continually and should have a full charge, but now the first to charge lights just flash and the unit will not hold on battery power.

I found a thread where other users are having the same issue with the BAT120 and posted on that, but there has been no response.

Its starting to look like the BAT120 has a high failure rate.   We have done nothing outside of what the unit is designed for "Battery Backup".

This is now causing us significant problems in the delivery of a contract we have, and causing management to doubt us going the Teltonika route.

Can you please advise as a matter of priority please so we can at least show management that Teltonika are dealing with this.

Many thanks
by anonymous
Comment from Teltonika support has not impressed me.

They are saying that if I have a device connected to the BAT120 and its batteries run out of power, I have to remove the router that is connected to the BAT120, charge the BAT120, then plug the router back in.

Is that not totally opposite to what it should do.....   Really not happy with their response.
by anonymous
Could you provide more details, where and by who was this information provided?

Best regards,

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

The issue has been forwarded to the developers for further investigation. They would like you to provide additional details:

• "2 were installed along with the RUT955, and all was going well until last week when we found that the BAT120 was failing to keep the RUT955 running when the power supply was cut."
    • Could you please provide a bit more info regarding the cut-offs? How long did the cut-offs last, and was the BAT120 charged when the first fail happened?
  • "The BAT120 had been connected to the mains power continually and should have a full charge, but now the first to charge lights just flash and the unit will not hold on battery power. "
    • How long the "continually" is? Are we talking about few hours, days?

Best regards,

by anonymous

See responses in red:

• "2 were installed along with the RUT955, and all was going well until last week when we found that the BAT120 was failing to keep the RUT955 running when the power supply was cut."
    • Could you please provide a bit more info regarding the cut-offs? How long did the cut-offs last, and was the BAT120 charged when the first fail happened?.   The BAT120 was fully charged before put into operation, the train then did an 8hr journey where the BAT120 was plugged into the mains all the team, and the RUT955 connected into the BAT120.   During the journey, the trains power will drop maybe 6 times but only for a max of 1min at a time.  Approx 3 days into use the team noticed that when the train power dropped, the RUT955 and BAT120 also powered off.

The BAT120 with the RUT955 was then plugged into mains power supply for approx 12hrs, but all it did was flash the first two charge lights.  After 12hrs the removed the mains power supply, and both BAT120 and RUT955 powered off instantly.
  • "The BAT120 had been connected to the mains power continually and should have a full charge, but now the first to charge lights just flash and the unit will not hold on battery power. "
    • How long the "continually" is? Are we talking about few hours, days?  The BAT120 was connected to the mains power for approx 12hrs, no less, and during this time the RUT955 was connected.   The unit does not appear to operate as a UPS.  Yesterday Teltonika advised that when charging the BAT120 after the batteries have depleted, you should unplug the RUT or any other device, charge, then plug the RUT in.   You should not need to do that with a UPS, it defeats the point of it really.

NOTE:  I will behaving a call with Teltonika management, my UK Supplier and myself on Thursday.   If what we were told is correct, about having to unplug other load devices whilst charging the BAT120, then really as a UPS its not fit for purpose, which is a real shame considering your other fantastic products.
by anonymous
Forwarded your details to the RnD.
by anonymous

Hello,

A few follow up questions:

• During the journey, the trains power will drop maybe 6 times but only for a max of 1min at a time. Approx 3 days into use the team noticed that when the train power dropped, the RUT955 and BAT120 also powered off.
    • Was power supplied even when trains were out of service, or were they off grid, when stationed for a night, for instance?
    • Which PSU did you use? Do you use 24W PSU (which comes with BAT120) or did you use 9W PSU (which comes with the RUT955)?
  • The BAT120 was connected to the mains power for approx 12hrs, no less, and during this time the RUT955 was connected. The unit does not appear to operate as a UPS. 
    • It operates as UPS, we have tested it many times, but the problem is long charge time in case battery is depleted (can take up to 15-18 hours). It is due to trickle charge and we are working on it at the moment in order to shorten charging time. Relating to the first quote, 6 times/day * 1minute * 3 days = 18 minutes in 3 days is nothing for BAT120. It can supply RUT955 for several hours without any problems. It seems that either there were longer power outages or 9W PSU was used which is not enough to charge BAT120 and supply RUT955 at the same time.

Best regards,

0 votes
by anonymous

See response in red to your question:  Could you provide more details, where and by who was this information provided?

The response was made by Teltonika as a result of a discussion between my UK Approved Supplier and Teltonika themselves.   The exact response from your team was:
If the BAT120 was plugged into the PSU together with the RUt955, then most likely the BAT120 was not charging and was working as a "passthru" since in order for the BAT120 to charge, you will require unplug the RUT device from it.

Does that not defeat the point of a UPS, as this is advertised as a UPS?
Further response from Teltonika today via the dealer:

"The BAT120 can be powerred while the device behind the BAT120 is connected, but the powering will take a long time and the slider has to be powered on.   Since if you would charge BAT120 itself it would take around 20hrs to charge while the router is connected".

They then advise:  "Unplug the RUT, charge the BAT120 by itself until first to power led light up, then connect the RUT and carry on charging..... presumably for up to 20hrs"

Really unhappy with the current situation and device certainly cannot be used as a UPS in its current guise.  Fortunately we only purchased 2 for testing with a view to deploying to our RUT955 estate of a few hundread devices.

by anonymous
Would it be possible to find out, how the communication with Teltonika is being carried out, either via emails, Teams chats, or VIP Helpdesk platform? If it is VIP Helpdesk, would it be possible to get an ID of the VIP Helpdesk case?

Best regards,
by anonymous
I will try and find out, the convesations have been between my UK Dealer and their Teltonika account manager, as I understand it, initial contact with the issue was via email, thereafter via phone call.

The Teltonika side have asked if I can get on a call with the dealer and Teltonika to go through the issue and better understand, but the information was clearly supplied by whoever they were talking to in Teltonika.   I will see what info I can get.
by anonymous
Hi there.  Did you get anywhere with this d95gas?

We had an outage at a site that lasted for more than a day, depleting the Bat120 battery completely.  When the power was restored the router received no power until a remote electrician kindly toggled the switch from on to off and back again.

This shouldn't be happening.  If it requires ANY type of manual intervention after restoration of power then it isn't fit for purpose.
by anonymous

Hi there.  Did you get anywhere with this d95gas?

We did "Sort of", so had a lengthy call with Teltonika themselves, I beleive it was the development team.   Its seems that this version of the battery backup unit did not follow what Teltonika expected and therefore it does not work as a UPS as such.

They admitted an issue existed for many customers and they are looking at how they can now develop the next model to work as we would expect a UPS to work.   So for now the current version of of no use to use because of the lengthy recharge time, where you cannot have a router plugged in.

They were of the opinion that there was some sort of breakdown of comms between development and production.  in the meantime we have had to revert to using proper APC UPS units until such time that they release a trial of the version 2 of the battery backup, like yourself, in its current guise, it was of no use to us.