FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
325 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Hi guys,

here you can see the display of my RUTX50 router with external antennas

I am not sure about SINR value

root@Teltonika-RUTX50:~# gsmctl -q
RSSI: -59
RSRP: -90
SINR: 2
RSRQ: -12

Can you help me and explain whether this is a problem or/and to improve it.

Cheers,

Christian

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

To determine, whether this is a problem, simply perform a speed test. What are the results? How do they differ compared to the performance of a smartphone with the same SIM inserted?

Also, do you experience any mobile connectivity issues?

The thing to understand about SINR is that it is a measure of the quality of the received signal relative to the level of interference and noise in the channel. Thus, despite there being an excellent RSSI in your area, it's effectiveness can be reduced by: other signals operating in nearby frequencies, for example, interference from the same or adjacent frequency bands due to multiple users communicating in the same frequency band, or multiple cells using the same frequency band in the same area, some external electrical equipment or atmospheric disturbances. 

The selected bands are determined by the operation of the modem, you can also influence selection by setting specific bands to select from. For instructions refer here

Best regards,

by anonymous

first thanks for the information .. really appreciate it.

I am new with the RUTX50 and therefore it is possible that my questions are not always logic.

The reason why I am asking is that my speedtests differ between 130 MBit and currently 30 MBit and I have no idea why.

The distance to the "5G antenna tower" is not more than 1 km ...

I read about this SINR and was not sure whether this can be the root cause or an indicator that something is not ok or will disturb the reception

There is nearly no difference between my smartphone (in the house)  and RUTX50 .. which is weird because I have external antennas for the RUT

I read in another post another command 

root@Teltonika-RUTX50:~# gsmctl -A AT+QCAINFO

+QCAINFO: "PCC",1300,100,"LTE BAND 3",1,358,-88,-12,-56,1
+QCAINFO: "SCC",6400,50,"LTE BAND 20",1,283,-74,-10,-56,12,0,-,-
+QCAINFO: "SCC",431070,3,"NR5G BAND 1",598
Furthermore I read to adjust it manually but that make the things worse .. I have now only 3G
by anonymous
SINR is indeed important and representative indicator of a radio channel quality. However, there are many factors impacting its value and the best counter-measure is to use external, preferably directive, antennas due to higher gain and decrease of interference due to the shape of the radiation pattern. Looking at the provided screenshot, it is seen that the modem is aggregating several bands, which allows to neglect the effect of high SINR on one band, while maintaining decent connection and speeds.

Considering the similarities in performance between the smartphone and the router, it might be that modems in both devices have similar capabilities. Also, since the tower is not very far from you, signal quality in your area is good anyway and antennas do not provide much of an improvement that it would under worse conditions. It might also be an indication that this is simply what the cell tower you are connected to can provide.

Best regards,