FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
381 views 8 comments
by anonymous

The datasheet for the RUTX12 states:

2 SIM cards, one for each mobile module, auto switch cases: weak signal, data limit, SMS limit, roaming, no network, network denied, data connection fail

It clearly states that the router can switch sims when the signal is weak. How do I configure this? Other questions on the forum has been answered with: "No need, both sims are active at the same time". But that does not answer the question. I have already configured the router to failover, but this only happens when the connection drops completely. The datasheet as quoted above says it should also "auto switch" when the signal is weak. So how do I configure this?  

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Thank you for bringing this up.

Information provided in the data sheet, as well as RUTX12 product page, is incorrect.

SIM switch is not available on RUTX12. The feature is in development. At the moment it is set to be included in 7.05 firmware, though it is still a matter of change.

Apologies for the inconveniences.

Best regards,
by anonymous
Well that's a shame, that's basically the number one reason I got this product, to be able to secure a solid connection by having two options that can automatically adjust based on signal strength and others.

Can you give some more details on the new feature that is in development? What parameters will you be able to adjust? Can we set up parameters to autoswitch based on ping times, packetloss, etc? This would make the RUTX12 a truly unique and powerful product.
by anonymous
The goal is to bring the feature as described: SIM switch based on weak signal, data limit, SMS limit, roaming, no network, network denied, data connection fail.

At the moment, available interface health check is performed either on ping or wget results and configured in failover settings.
by anonymous
Would you consider other options as well? Think of this scenario:

You have sim 1 connected to one cell tower and sim 2 connected through another carrier on another cell tower. Then sim 1 experiences lower performance due to congestion on the tower and the ping times are higher and speed lower. This would not make the sim switch happen because it only happens on disconnect and in the future on "weak signal". But "weak signal" might only mean the actual radio signal, and not the quality of the connection.

Imagine the scenario above and that the sim will switch under certain rules, which could make sim 2 be active which might have better performance. This way, you could have "quality redundancy", where you could essentially double the chance you will have a solid, performing connection.
by anonymous
Thank you for your suggestion.

It would indeed be a valuable inclusion. I will forward it to the developers to consider implementing in the future.

Best regards,
by anonymous
Hello, the switching function is really lacking, I would like us to have a choice of either load balancing or fail-safety, I also have RUTX12 for trouble-free operation, starlink works on WAN, and through mobile communication sim1 and sim2, LTE antennas are deployed in different directions to cellular towers would like to have minimal packet loss and a fail-safe connection, the ability to ping an active connection and the ability to set delay thresholds and timeouts. Thank you.
by anonymous

Could you elaborate the device you have in mind?

RUTX12 does have failover and load balancing functionalities, the latter of which allows to have all of the interfaces connected and forwarding traffic at the same time. Interface health check pings are also performed and their frequency configurable from the router's WebUI Network -> Failover page.

Best regards,

by anonymous
Salve abbiamo preso un routx12 nell’azienda per testarlo.l’unica pecca è proprio questa che il routx12 lavora con una sim principale è si commuta solo quando la connessione principale cade .sarebbe il top se il nuovo aggiornamento possa incrementare la funzione di commutazione tra le due sim in base al segnale .aspettiamo con ansia questa nuova funzionalità per ulteriori acquisti futuri.grazie per adesso della delucidazione.
by anonymous

Hello,

You can have both SIMs operating simultaneously by enabling load balancing for both mobile interfaces. 

This can be done by logging to the router's WebUI, navigating to Network -> Failover page. Switch to Load balancing at the top right under Failover/Load balancing interfaces section and enable both mobile interfaces. 

Best regards,