FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
155 views 0 comments
by anonymous
I have my RUTX14 mounted on a rather difficult to access location. Currently using PoE on LAN1 and the mobile network as my connectivity to the outside world. I now have gotten Starlink in my area, with way better connectivity - but with a limitation in the SSID naming (you're not allowed to use a "." in the SSID), which limits me to connect some of my IoT devices directly to Starlink.

My idea was to use the PoE cable that already goes up to the RUTX14 to connect it to my Starlink router, but the PoE is connected to the LAN1.

-> is there a possibility to route all traffic from my RUTX14 to the LAN1 cable - to my bridged Starlink router?  This would solve several of my current challenges :)

Thanks for your answers!
(connecting the RUTX14 over WLAN could also be an option, but the cabled one might be more stable & fast)

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

There are a few possibilities in your case:

• To keep using the RUTX14 as a router:
    • LAN port can be set to act as WAN by following the process described here. This means that the RUTX14 will need to be on a LAN network separate from the Starlink router, and all of the LAN devices will also be in a separate subnet.
  • To convert the RUTX14 to a "dumb AP" + switch:
    • Leave the LAN1 port as LAN;
    • In the LAN interface (Network → Interfaces → General) change the DHCP server from Enabled to Relay;
    • Specify the Starlink router IP as the DHCP server.
    • This way all of the LAN devices (wired and wireless) will receive an IP address from the Starlink router. This is most likely a better choice as everything in the location will be on the same subnet.
    • To reach the RUTX14, set the static IP on your PC to be in the same subnet as the RUTX14 LAN network, and you will be able to reach the WebUI.

Let me know if any more information is needed!

Best regards,
DaumantasG 

Best answer