FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
186 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hello,

How to transfer configuration from rut950 to rutx14?

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi – just an end user here, not tech support – I think when you've got different hardware there is no simple download / upload config option available. At least I didn't try.

Having said that I quickly moved my config (DHCP settings, interface settings, a loooong list of static IPs, firewalls etc. etc.) out of my old RUT950 to a new RUTX50 via ssh (and you could probably use CLI from the webUI). Anyway ... ssh into the RUT950 to copy what you need, then ssh into the RUTX50 / RUTX14 and paste ... if you're careful it's quick & doable. There are a few things like firewall configs that require a bit of common sense when switching devices. 

Everything you might need is stored here on both devices:

# cd /overlay/upper/etc/config

Any Q's hit me back,

D

by anonymous
Not very familiar with ssh yet, but big thank you, buddy!
by anonymous

In that case I suggest poking around using the WebUI > System > CLI (command line interface) to get familiar with the concept and file structure before attempting to ssh from a separate laptop / linux terminal etc. etc. 

Basically:

login: root
Password: YourRouterPassword

root@Teltonika-RUTX:~# <- when you see this you can start typing commands

cd /overlay/upper/etc/config <- changes the current directory to /whatever/you/type
ls -l <- list everything in the current directory

cat dhcp <- show me the contents of the file named 'dhcp' (cannot edit, just view)
vi dhcp <- edit the file named 'dhcp' using 'vi' (see https://www.redhat.com/sysadmin/introduction-vi-editor)

Learning how to use vi is a necessary hassle as it's the only command line file editor built into Teltonika devices. If you have a Mac or Linux machine you might have seen a file editor called nano, similar idea just implemented differently, the redhat link above will get you started. To make things even more complicated, the version of vi installed on Teltonika devices is not the full version... Some functions will not work. The 'missing' functions are outlined here https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Learning_the_vi_Editor/BusyBox_vi

The simplest explanation is that vi has an 'editing / typing' mode and a 'menu / do stuff' mode. You need to be in the right mode before typing anything otherwise it's a comedy show.

When you're confident looking around in CLI, hit me back. **WARNING** you can do some serious damage to your router if you start modifying files and directories without really knowing what you're doing ... to the point that a factory reset might not even be possible? So be cautious and methodical and make sure you've got a solid understanding of what you're doing, before doing it.

p.s: breaking stuff is how you learn stuff :)

p.p.s: I am not related to Teltonika in any way, so if you prefer to wait for a proper tech support reply, that's up to you :)

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

Glad to hear that you enjoy our gear!

@disuye described it well - since the hardware is so different between these devices, there is no convenient way to move all of the configurations. However, for individual packages (e.g. IPsec) it should be possible to simply replace the configuration files on the RUTX14 with the files from RUT950. WinSCP could be used for this by following the procedure described here.

Also, before transferring the configuration changes, make sure both devices are running the same firmware.

Best regards,
DaumantasG