FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
114 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I have an iPad which only supports WIFI. I'm wondering if it is possible to transfer the GPS signal from a GPS device connected to the RUTX14 router to my iPad? The iPad is wireless connected to the router. I want to use the iPad on my boat on water for navigation purposes. Anyone Any suggestions if this is possible? And if so, is anyone able to propose the configuration I have to apply?

On my iPad I use specific navigation software suitable to navigate on the water (called ' waterkaarten').

Thanks a lot.

André

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

This will depend on the application and how it works. It seems that the applications may function differently depending on the device, so using the application on an iPad may not be the same as using it on a Windows machine. I do not have an iPad for testing, so it is hard to say for certain.

I could not find much relevant information about the iPad in this case, but it seems like the application for Windows can obtain GPS data from a TCP server. In this case, it may be possible to obtain GPS data from the RUTX14 with some additional work (you can also take a look at this thread as it seems that one of the users did something similar).

Could you check what are the possible ways the application on an iPad can obtain coordinates? For example, can it obtain coordinates from a server?

Also, what kind of GPS device are you using? Is it connected via a serial cable or ethernet?

There are different ways to send GPS data from RUTX14, but in these scenarios, the data is sent and needs to be accepted. So if the application works with some platform that accepts GPS data, then it may be possible to send GPS data to that platform. You can find more information here.

You can find a list of supported GPS platforms here. You can also take a look at Traccar and Ruhavik.

Kind Regards,

Andzej

by anonymous
Hello,

I have a similar setup: I use an wifi-only Ipad for navigation in my campervan („standard“ applications like „here maps“). At the time being, a Garmin Bluetooth GPS dongle is used for the position. As the Ipad gets its internet from a RUTX14 with external GPS antenna, it would be great to know if the RUTX14 could deliver the position data. I know that there are packages like GPSD for OpenWRT. GPSD grabs the position and offer it via network or Bluetooth. Could this package be used at the RUTX14, too?

Best regards

Helge