FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
499 views 21 comments
by anonymous
Currently I'm testing private 5G and trying out some modems. The RUTX50 drops the connection every minute for 30 seconds. The RUTX remains pingable, but the devices in the 5G NR private network not due to the disconnect. The log shows a disconnect and later a reconnect. I'm running firmware RUTX_R_00.07.04.1
by anonymous
Wrong location for the comment

2 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for contacting us.

It would be great if you could replicate the issue, then access the router's WebUI, go to SYSTEM > ADMINISTRATION > TROUBLESHOOT section, download troubleshoot file from there and send it to me.

Logs in this file will help to answer what causes this issue.

Thank you in advance.

by anonymous
Thanks for the swift response. The file has been added.
by anonymous
Thanks, so what I found it, the mobile iterface goes up, however, pings fail:

Fri May  5 13:41:21 2023 daemon.err mobifd: IPV4 ping failed for "mob1s1a1"

Fri May  5 13:41:41 2023 daemon.err mobifd: IPV4 ping failed for "mob1s1a1"

Fri May  5 13:42:02 2023 daemon.err mobifd: IPV4 ping failed for "mob1s1a1"

After they fail, the device determines the interface is down and restarts it, the one thing I am no sure of, is what it tries to ping.

When the modem is up, do you have an internet connection for that time?

Maybe you could capture traffic to see what it pings and try to see why the pings fail
by anonymous
There is no internet connection as this is a private 5G stand alone.. I don't see any pings in the Wireshark capture. Could it be that there is some kind of watchdog in the RUTX50 that if there is no internet connection, that it resets the connection? If so, can I disable it? The Wireshark capture has been added.

Just saw the option that a connection or the RUTX can be rebooted when there is no ping reply. It is in the menu under 'Auto Reboot'. There is one rule by default, but not activated. If there was an active rule, then this would explain, but there is none in the GUI.

Installed FW version 07.02.08, but did not solve the issue
by anonymous
Hi,

You should have captured traffic on the qmimux0 interface as ping will be done directly from the interface using the capabilities of the modem.

Regarding the private network part that could be the issue here. It would be great if you captured traffic from the qmimux0 interface and then we will try to see what is pinged, and if we can change it, if not, I will reach out to our RnD department on how we could work around this.

Thanks for troubleshooting!
by anonymous
How can I capture the traffic in the RUTX50? The communication is going strait from the RUTX50 via the mobile network out into the air.
by anonymous

Install TCP dump package, if there is no internet access, upload it via package manager manually, you can download the package from our wiki page: https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUTX50_Package_Downloads

Then use tcpdump -w mob.pcap -i qmimux0  to capture traffic to a pcap file

by anonymous
Is it somewhere in another package as I don't see TCP dump on the download webside.
by anonymous
Ow, the tcpdump package is now preinstalled for RUTX series routers, so you don't need to install anything, it's already there, sorry bout that, it was news for me too
by anonymous
When runing the command I get this response:

root@Teltonika-RUTX50:~# tcpdump -w mob.pcap -i qmimux0                                                                                                        

tcpdump: qmimux0: No such device exists                                                                                                                        

(SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device)                                                                                                                                

root@Teltonika-RUTX50:~#      

Possibly the name of the interface is different
by anonymous

you can check the available interfaces by executing ifconfig and the mobile interface is close to the bottom.

it could also be called wwan0 or something similar

by anonymous
This is what I see, please advice:

root@Teltonika-RUTX50:~# ifconfig                                                                                                                              

br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:42:60:5A:58                                                                                                        

inet addr:10.10.1.1  Bcast:10.10.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0                                                                                           

inet6 addr: fe80::21e:42ff:fe60:5a58/64 Scope:Link                                                                                                   

inet6 addr: fdf3:119b:1439::1/60 Scope:Global                                                                                                        

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1                                                                                                   

RX packets:7636 errors:0 dropped:4 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                                

TX packets:6904 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                              

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000                                                                                                                         

RX bytes:683729 (667.7 KiB)  TX bytes:1067195 (1.0 MiB)                                                                                              

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:42:60:5A:58                                                                                                        

UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1                                                                                                   

RX packets:7905 errors:0 dropped:29 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                               

TX packets:6904 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                              

RX bytes:816541 (797.4 KiB)  TX bytes:1067195 (1.0 MiB)                                                                                              

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:42:60:5A:59                                                                                                        

UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1                                                                                                           

RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                                   

TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                                 

RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)                                                                                                               

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback                                                                                                                            

inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0                                                                                                                  

inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host                                                                                                                       

UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:65536  Metric:1                                                                                                             

RX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                                 

TX packets:328 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                               

RX bytes:25605 (25.0 KiB)  TX bytes:25605 (25.0 KiB)                                                                                                 

qmimux0   Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00                                                                            

inet addr:172.16.42.100  P-t-P:172.16.42.100  Mask:255.255.255.255                                                                                   

inet6 addr: fe80::11fd:34cd:843b:bccd/64 Scope:Link                                                                                                  

UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1                                                                                           

RX packets:22 errors:1 dropped:1 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                                  

TX packets:42 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                                

RX bytes:1816 (1.7 KiB)  TX bytes:3484 (3.4 KiB)                                                                                                     

wwan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr DA:29:9F:34:D7:16                                                                                                        

inet6 addr: fe80::d829:9fff:fe34:d716/64 Scope:Link                                                                                                  

UP BROADCAST RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:31744  Metric:1                                                                                            

RX packets:1390 errors:0 dropped:1362 overruns:0 frame:0                                                                                             

TX packets:2561 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0                                                                                              

RX bytes:78320 (76.4 KiB)  TX bytes:202531 (197.7 KiB)
by anonymous
Strange as I repeated the same command and it was just running now. Downloaded the mob.pcap file and uploaded it to this issue
by anonymous
Thanks for the pcap file, my suspicions were confirmed. The modem is trying to ping various DNS service providers and fails, since every ping failed, it assumed it had no internet connection and then just tried restarting to try and establish one.

Do you have any DNS servers in your private network and do it respond to pings?

Could you try adding it in the: Network -> Interfaces -> General -> MOB1S1A1 -> Advanced settings -> Use custom DNS servers field?

Maybe that would be for it to use that DNS server for checking that it indeed has a connection to something
by anonymous
Will install a DNS server into that network and test. Bear for me for a moment.
by anonymous
DNS server is installed without forwarders and the modem has this DNS server as reference. Makes no difference. The modem still disconnects again and again
by anonymous

Hi,

Thank you for all of the troubleshooting, it seems that we have quite a large issue on our hands.

I have reached out to our RnD department to see what we would be able to do here and if it's possible to do anything without FW changes

by anonymous

So got word from RnD:

You custom APN to disable this option or add it's own DNS address under /etc/config/operctl -> list dns '<IP to ping>'

by anonymous
Just removed all the entries from the file and placed only the installed and reachable DNS server in. I now notice that the connection drops even more. Will revert the changes in the file and try to solve it via the APN adjustments. What I don't understand is why this is a hidden feature. There is a nice gui available to place this in and users can enable and disable to their liking.

In the end I could solve this issue by disabling the option by setting the 'option enabled' to 0. I do ask to set this by default to 0 and implement any of these resiliance features in the WebGUI to make them visible and easy adjustable for the user.

Thanks for the support!
by anonymous
Well that sounds like an answer :D

I already had suggested this for RnD, to a WebUI option to edit this config
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello dear TELTONIKA community. Is there any news on the WesternEurope 5G PROBLEM in the RUTX50 pls?
I ask this, bc we planned to buy several RUTX50 s  , but we halted the order.

5G CPE routers are applied to secure important assets and cams , incl IOT.
The Dutch TELTONIKA partner promised to deliver a solution on May 17th.

Looking forward to the latest news on this
kind regards,   rt bosch, BSP & Associates

by anonymous

Hello,

KPN 5G issue is resolved. In case you receive devices with older modem firmware, here are the instructions on how to update the device.

Best regards,
DaumantasG