FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
237 views 7 comments
by anonymous
Hello folks. I'm using an RUT240. I've set it up to prefer Wifi WAN, and have recently noticed that the throughput is horrible. Case in point I recently got a starlink for when we're out bush, and I can get 150MBps from its built in WIFI router, but if I connect to the RUT240 (I have a netgear nighthawk wifi router on LAN behind that) I get about 2MBps. Using the built in 4g modem I can typically pull 40MBps this was, which I think is limited by the 4g connection. I noted also that my phone gets 150MBps on 5g cellular, but using a similar setup, I only get ~4MBps throughput if I ask the RUT240 to use it as its WAN connection.

I'm on the current release firmware.. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Alex

edit: I tried to remove the 'interface' I added for the starlink to re-add it, and now get this error when trying to join ti's wifi network:

"Maximum number of one client for one device allowed. To specify few possible clients use Multi AP ". If i press the multi AP button, same error message.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

If the firmware version of your router is not 7.04.1 or above, could you try the following:

• Login to router's WebUI;
  • Navigate to Network -> Firewall -> General settings;
  • Enable Software flow offloading;
  • Save the settings and test, if that provides any improvement.

In 7.04.1 and above versions, this option is should be enabled by default, thus I suggest router's firmware update.

It might be that Netgear's access point uses 40MHz channels. You could check it by logging to the router via SSH and executing the following command:

• iw wlan0 info

There should be width setting with associated value. You could try to editing general wireless interface settings in Network -> Wireless and change the Width setting to 40MHz.

If it does not help, I'd like you to replicate your configuration, test scenario and generate a troubleshoot file from your device. To do it, access router's WebUI, go to System -> Administration -> Troubleshoot page and download troubleshoot file from there. 

The logs in the file might provide additional insight into the issue. Attach the file by editing your question.

Also, what is the distance from the Netgear router? Are there any obstacles, walls, metallic surfaces in the path?

Do you have any other services, applications, VPNs running on the router?

Netgear also supports WiFi 802.11ax standard, which is two generations above the RUT 240 capabilities, though WiFi speeds should still be higher.

Bet regards,

by anonymous
Thanks, what's the SSH pwd?
by anonymous

Username: root

Password: the same used to login to WebUI.

by anonymous

thanks. Using 7.04.2.
root@Teltonika-RUT240:~# iw wlan0 info
Interface wlan0
        ifindex 24
        wdev 0xd
        addr 00:1e:42:3c:aa:52
        ssid Alex
        type managed
        wiphy 0
        channel 6 (2437 MHz), width: 20 MHz, center1: 2437 MHz
        txpower 12.00 dBm
        multicast TXQ:
                qsz-byt qsz-pkt flows   drops   marks   overlmt hashcol tx-bytes        tx-packets
                0       0       0       0       0       0       0       0               0

You're right on the 40MHz thing, that's given me considerably better throughput, I'm sure that's not the default for reasons I don't understand :) Thanks for that. It's still a good way short though. On testing I see as follows

All using ookla speedtest via browser

• Samsung handset 5g - 150MBps
  • Samsung handset 4g - 40MBps
  • Laptop to Samsung hotspot (2.4GHz*) 35MBps (2.4 GHz wifi saturated?)
  • Laptop to RUT240 modem (same cellular service as phone) via nighthawk router (eth) 2.4GHz - 35MBps
  • Laptop and mobile to Starlink AP 5GHz 150MBps 2.4GHz 35MBps
  • Laptop or mobile to Starlink or mobile AP via RUT240 WWAN and nighthawk router - 40MHz forced in teltonika device - 6MBps
  • Laptop or mobile to Starlink or mobile AP via RUT240 WWAN and nighthawk router - 40MHz not forced in teltonika device - 2MBps

Seems like there's still some issue with bandwidth from wireless to ethernet in the RUT240.

I still also have the issue with joining another wifi network since update to 7.04.2 as describe in edit of first post, are you able to assist me there too? I added the troubleshoot file to the first post.

by anonymous

Based on the output of CLI command, your access point also uses 20MHz.

From the troubleshoot file, it would be a good idea to reset your device to factory defaults. 

Your wireless configuration contains 5 client (WiFi WAN) interfaces, which should not be possible, unless defined in Multi AP settings. Only one client interface is allowed. That is also the reason, why you receive the error message, when adding a new instance.

The device configuration in general contains options from previous firmware versions, due to firmware updates with keeping the current device settings. I would assume that some of them add to the unsatisfactory operation of the device. 

Higher speeds might also be simply unattainable due to RUT240 hardware limitations. It has only one WiFi antenna, which must receive, process and relay Wifi traffic from another access point. RUT240 also radiates WiFi at a relatively low power, which adds to the reduced performance.

Best regards, 

by anonymous
Thankyou. To give some colour to the use case, it's an RV. I have a number of known WIFI networks both mobile and fixed which I'd like to preference ahead of the RUT240's modem.

I think there are two discrete issues.

The wifi of the RUT240 I'm asking only to relay traffic between a wireless access point and the ethernet port. I have a separate wireless router on the ethernet port of the RUT240 which provides 5GHz. It looks like RUT240 wifi to ethernet is very very slow.

The previous firmware allowed me to have multiple interfaces and preference them in order. Even if it weren't intended, this was useful functionality for me. Can I go back?

Thanks again for your continued assistance.
by anonymous
You should have no issues to downgrade.

Could you name the firmware version, you had installed before?

Also, were the speeds any better before?

Best regards,
by anonymous
I don't think I can name that FW, though it would be the one that was available at May 22 when requested by OTA upgrade. I'll look and see if I can find a timeline. edit - I supect 7.01.4

I'm reluctant to reset at this stage as I don't have hardware to connect via ethernet. Honestly I'm not sure if the speeds were better before as it's mostly non-bandwidth intensive usage; when we tried to host 2x separate video calls and ran out of throughput was when I went to check. I'll try to acquire an USB-ethernet dongle so I can try the reset.