FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
341 views 14 comments
by anonymous
FW ver.: RUT2XX_R_00.01.13

My WAN provider is Starlink. If I plug my WAN cable into a laptop it works fine. I have had it work several times with the RUT240, but it is not reliable or solid. Now the log shows repeated "operational" then "non operational". With nothing plugged in to the WAN port, the graphic shows a green LED and a cable plugged in. Earlier, with a WAN cable plugged in the showed a red "X" and the LED was grey. With a different WiFi router it makes a WAN connection no problem. I've searched the support pages but haven't found a solution.
by anonymous
I updated firmware to the latest non-legacy. The issue still exists. I've added a screenshot to my original post.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Since you performed quite a large jump between firmware versions, I'd recommend performing a factory reset on the device.

If that does not help, please navigate to System → Administration → Troubleshoot and generate a troubleshoot file. It can be attached to the original post and will only be visible to Teltonika moderators.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous
I should have made clear that my latest troubleshoot files and the screenshot of the WAN going up and down were with no ethernet, neither WAN nor LAN, connected to the RUT240. One of my RUT240s seems to be recoverable with a factory reset. The other is stuck in this mode even through factory resets. I don't know how to recover it.

To be able to use my own router with the Starlink I cut the factory (very proprietary) ethernet cable and attached a standard shielded ethernet RJ45 plug, wired according to wiring diagrams on the web. I've uploaded a diagram of my setup.

My company, EKM Metering, stocks and sells the RUT240 to our customers to get their metering data to the Internet when they don't have more standard methods available. It has been a solid, trouble-free unit and we like it a lot. I understand that what I am trying to do on my boat with the Starlink is unusual, but it is mysterious to my why the RUT240 would have trouble when inexpensive home WiFi routers just seem to work. I'm motivated to use what I believe to be a much more robust Teltonika router for my final installation, but after this experience my confidence is shaken. I am thinking of buying an RUTX14 to use with the Starlink. So my question to you is: Is it likely that the WAN port of the RUTX14 will behave the same as the WAN port of the RUT240?
by anonymous
Hello,

Could you expand a little more on how Starlink behaves on the device without the WAN/LAN port issues? Does it work fine?

As for RUTX14, they use different Ethernet switches, so if the issue is L1/L2-related, the issue should not exist, however, we also had customers experiencing issues with RUTX devices, thus it's hard to say how Starlink will behave. Our RnD team is currently investigating what could be causing the issue, and once we identify the issue I will be able to provide some more information.

Best regards,
DaumantasG
by anonymous
I will expand a bit on how Starlink behaves when it's working.

It took me quite a while to get the re-wired Starlink working. It would work for a while, then stop. At first I suspected the inexpensive ethernet injector. I replaced it twice, and each time it started working again, but then quit. I retrospect it wasn't the injector--I've gone back to use all 3 of the injectors and they all work. I got advice that it might be the voltage level--that instead to the specified 48 volts, something closer to 56 volts would be better. For a while, that seemed to resolve my issues, but then it quit again. One website gave the strong advice to suspect the ethernet connector crimps if things weren't working properly. Re-doing them seemed to help, but it would still stop working. The last thing I suspected was the RUT240, and it wasn't until I swapped RUT240s and started watching the logs that I saw the issue with the WAN port going up and down. I still assumed the issue was with something else, but I finally disconnected the RUT240 from the WAN, and discovered that the graphic (old firmware) showed the WAN in a strange state--either a red "X" or a cable plugged in when there wasn't one. That's when I started to reach out to Teltonika for support. My primary need for the Starlink Internet is continuous connection, not speed, so while the Starlink is capable of much higher speeds, I've never seen speeds over 10Mbps with the RUT240.

At a point I decided to try a different router. I tried both a TP-Link and a Netgear, cheap home routers. Surprisingly, not only has the Starlink never gone down spontaneously since, but I've seen speeds of over 100Mbps, and usually around 50Mbps. The connection has remained solid for days, and the speeds have been much better than with the RUT240. At this point I'm convinced that it has been the RUT240 that's been the issue all along. Given my previous history with Teltonika products, to say that I'm surprised is to say the least. I still hope to use a Teltonika product as my router, but, of course, I need it to be rock solid, as they have always been prior to this experience.

Thanks for working to get to the bottom of this!

Doug
by anonymous
Has there been any progress on gaining an understanding of this issue?
by anonymous
Hello,

Nothing yet, we are awaiting some files needed for troubleshooting from another client.