FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
336 views 6 comments
by anonymous
Hi

Have installed the rutx50 on a ship, have four large omni directional antennas pontang ommi 493s

Its not a conventional install I guess, each antenna is either port of startbaord of main mast, one higher than the other spaced about two meters vertically apart each side.

Obviously there is a blockage for each antenna being the mast depending on direction of vessel etc.

Port 0 is the higher antenna port side and port 3 is the higher antanna starboard side mast.

Problem I've noticed is we have alot of 1x1 b28 transmitters in the area and while they generally do ok (20/30 Mbps) via LTE B28) I have noticed when the modem connects to theses towers it always has better signal in one direction only, hence its almost like the modem always uses port 0 antenna rather then sensing which antenna currently has the best signal to noise ratio etc..

Am I on the money here? If so is there any possibility of improving this algorithm?
by anonymous
Direction as in ships orientation to the tower

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello,

Since modems and their signal processing algorithms are manufactured and developed by Quectel, for specifics of their workings please refer to Quectel for support.

Best regards,
by anonymous
So if I buy a Mercedes and I get a problem with my Bosch injection system I go to Bosch to get it fixed???
by anonymous
Have to sorta agree with the above comment.

At the moment I don't think this device is very good for roaming (moving) installations with omnidirectional antennas because the algorithm used to select a tower appears to only factor in signal strength.

We obviously don't want to disable band 28 as when further out at sea this band is best choice but closer to land we often find the modem always locks to strong signal strength, but poor signal to noise, single band b28 tower, if we disable this band it then locks to a much better CA LTE or even 5G NSA tower, sure the signal strength is a little bit less BUT the signal to noise and speed is usually much much better, why can't the device figure this out on its own if you don't mind me asking?

Maybe I'm asking too much of this product and apologies if so
by anonymous
Basically trying to avoid small cells of lowe capacity when really close to them, hence there offering the best "signal strength"

For roaming installations with high gain omni directional antennas if there was an option to disable certain bands when operating as the main band and not a sub band in CA with other bands would be benifical.

For example disable low band B28 unless it operate in CA with abother higher frequency band etc, meaning the band must specifically be operating in CA with another band, to be allowed to operate on the modem at all.

This would solve alot of issues too because often small cells utilise only a single low band frequency yet a little bit further away is a larger higher capacity cell with low and higher bands together hence would provide much better thoughtput. Currently on auto the modem won't automatically utilise this.

Abother idea I thought was maybe disabling certain bands unless they operated in MIMO? Because usually small cells only have single transmitters in low bands.

Anyway just wanted to share my basic operational findings while operating this modem on a ship near coastal.

I'm no expert at all but thought I'd share
by anonymous

Hello,

To sort of workaround this, you can create a two configuration profiles: one with your current configuration, another set to use all LTE bands, except B28. This would allow to implement some switching between the two.

To create a configuration profile login to router‘s WebUI, navigate to System -> Profiles -> Profiles. Here, add a new profile from current configuration.

Next, navigate to Network -> Mobile -> General. Set Network type to 4G or 4G+5G, depending on your needs, set Band selection option to Manual. Select every band from the drop down lists, except B28. Save the settings.

Go to System -> Profiles -> Profiles once more and create another profile from current configuration.

To switch between the profiles, you can:

• Create a new SMS rule with Change profile action in Services -> Mobile utilities -> SMS utilities.
  • Then, there is a profile scheduler option in Services-> Profiles -> Scheduler.
  • Also, you can use the input pin 3 to attach some switch to it and then configure different profile switching based on the switch being enabled/disabled.

Best regards,  

by anonymous
Hi

Thanks for info / help will look into this :-)