FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
586 views 2 comments
by anonymous
Hi,

I am looking for a way I can have two or more mobile networks connected at the same time and route traffic over the fastest connection.

I am currently using a RUT950 in a vehicle which obviously moves around and also goes into areas where there is no coverage. I have two SIM cards and switch SIMs if the signal drops below 100db strength, but that is not working very well for me as often I end up using for example SIM2 which is poor signal at 90db, with slow connection speed when I could be using SIM1 again which has perfect signal and really fast speed. I have played with the switching settings and not really found a suitable solution. Also the time it takes to switch SIMs interrupts the connection for too long and makes it unreliable.

I am thinking the solution has to be to have multiple routers/modems - one for each SIM card - so they can remain connected all the time, but the question then is how do I route traffic down the fastest or most reliable? Could I do it by connecting another mobile router to the WAN port and using load balancing maybe?

Any input would be greatly appreciated as I am struggling to work out how to make this work best.

Many thanks

Rob

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
To do this you would need to test each connection for latency and then switch the routing based on this.

The problem will be that as the units are moving it could flap a lot, so you might need to keep some connections stick or some sites wont like it.

Or you could create a bonded VPN to a server and route via that, but would be using both sims at once.
by anonymous
Yeah - I have seen a unit that accepts 4 SIM cards and creates a bonded VPN back to the office to route traffic out from there. That looks like the best option at the moment, but just wanted to explore if I could achieve the same thing using the Teltonika kit - I don't think its going to be feasible though as its a bit too basic. thanks for the reply.
by anonymous
it’s doable with the Teltonika kit, but not out of the box, and you’ll need a couple of units.