FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,174 views 5 comments
by
Hi,

I am looking for a solution for internet while coastal cursing on a recreational vessel.

I have narrowed down my selection between the RUT240 and RUT955 units. The installation will include 2x Whip antennas installed external of the vessel.

The only reason I can see for our need to purchase the RUT955, is if it is more sensitive in comparison to the RUT240. Thus giving us potential for a greater range.

Thank you
by anonymous
Bear in mind both units will be rather slow. If you need something with better performances you better look somewhere else. Me and others have brought up the lousy performance problem a lot of times. Teltonika keeps on releasing firmwares but never addresses the limited speed all these routers are getting.

Just an example, if you buy a consumer netgear router and attach to it the same antenna you would attach to a teltonika router you will obtain something near 5X troughput speed, both in download and upload.

I have 6 routers from teltonika, 3xRUT955 and 3xRUT240, none of them as ever reached more than 6Mbit download speed. I tested them in a place where there is a very very strong LTE signal.

It is a CAT4 device so it "should" be capable of 150Mbit download speed, i understand those are speeds only achieavable in perfect testing condition but something better than 6Mbit should be achieved even in real life conditions. 6Mbit is 1/25 of what the theoretical limit of the technology is.
by
Do you have any recommendation of a particular model number said routers?

6Mbit would not be an acceptable speed.

Thanks
by
Speedtests done worldwide shows that the same device can achieve very different speeds in different countries/cities. There is multiple environmental factors that can impact it. The best way would be just to check a device in your actual location, but the statement that it can not go beyond 6Mbit is false, I've reached 80+ Mbit in my own office.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Hard to say which device is better to your case according these requirements, because both your mentioned devices could work in such scenario. If you could tell us more details, what exactly router feature is needed how it will be used, then we could comment more on this.
by
No problem, i got a mikrotik roiter, same location, same sim card, same antennas, 40mbit. Problem solved.
by anonymous
Have you tried RUT240 or RUT955 at the same spot ? If you can please PM me.