FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
987 views 0 comments
by

We have a vehicle that must do the following:

When within building:

Wireless client enabled (connecting to buidling wifi)
Wireless access point disabled (not transmitting vehicle SSID)
4G disabled

When offsite:

4G enabled with VPN
Wireless client mode is disabled (as cannot connect to building wifi)
Wireless access point enabled (transmiting vehicle SSID)

When returning to building:

Wireless client becomes enabled (connecting to building wifi)
Wireless access point disabled (stop transmitting vehicle SSID)
4G disabled

The main bit here is to be able to use the router wifi as a client when in building. Once out of the building, switch to using wifi as an access point for clients to connect but continue to poll for presence of building wifi and automatically connect when back within the building (disabling wireless access point & 4G)

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Hi,

There's no easy way to do this, so I'll just post what I can think of below and you can choose. Unfortunately though, I think there's no ideal way to do this with routers current FW capabilities. But I'm posting whatever should work anyway.

Indirect approach 1

This solution is based on a schedule. i.e., if the vehicles follow a certain schedule, two separate Configuration Profiles can be created on the router and set up to be used based on that schedule.

1. Create two separate Configuration Profiles via the System → Profiles page:
    1. Profile 1: intended for the building (WiFi AP OFF, WiFi STA ON, 4G OFF, no VPN).
    2. Profile 2: intended for the vehicle (WiFi AP ON, WiFi STA OFF, 4G ON, VPN configured).
  2. Configure a schedule for the profiles. For example, if the vehicles leaves every day at 9 a.m. and returns on 5 p.m., you can set up the router to use Profile 2 (offsite) between those hours and use Profile 1 (building) outside of these hours. This can be done via the System → Profiles → Scheduler page (unfortunately, there's no link for this one yet).

Indirect approach 2

This solution is based on the vehicle's movement (entering/exiting the building). It should work for all intents and purposes, but its reliability should be confirmed by tests. (Also, this requires GPS; you haven't specified which routers you're using, but since you're using them in vehicles, I assume you have RUT955.)

1. Configure a GPS Geofence around the building. Can be done via the Services → GPS → GPS Geofencing page.
  2. Create two separate Configuration Profiles via the System → Profiles page:
    1. Profile 1: intended for the building (WiFi AP OFF, WiFi STA ON, 4G OFF, no VPN).
    2. Profile 2: intended for the vehicle (WiFi AP ON, WiFi STA OFF, 4G ON, VPN configured).
  3. (The configured Geofence zone will be on both profiles if you added it prior (which is good)).
  4. In the Status → Events Log → Events Reporting page configure two Events Reporting rules (one rule for each Profile):
    1. On Profile 1: rule that sends an SMS message to the router when it exits the Geofence zone.
    2. On Profile 2: rule that sends an SMS message to the router when it enters the Geofence zone.
  5. In the Services → SMS Utilities page configure two new SMS Rules (or edit the existing ones; one rule for each Profile):
    1. On Profile 1: rule that makes the router switch to Profile 2. This rule should be triggered by the Events Reporting rule's SMS text. (When the vehicle exits the building.)
    2. On Profile 2: rule that makes the router switch to Profile 1. This rule should be triggered by the Events Reporting rule's SMS text. (When the vehicle enters the building.)

Custom solution

You can try creating your own solution with tools like User Scripts or the Software Development Kit (SDK).

Paid solution

And finally, if prior solutions do not suit your needs, you can ask Teltonika to create and add the features that you need. However, this is a paid service. For this contact your sales manager and give them this information. They will tell you what to do next.

I hope any of this is helpful,
Good luck.