FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,307 views 1 comments
by anonymous
Hello!

I want to use OpenVPN to get a public and static IP.

I have a server with public IP and OpenVPN installed. Works fine when connected from Windows.

Connectong as a client using the 955 works, the connection is up and I can ping WAN addresses trough the tunnel from the router CLI.

Connecting to WAN does NOT work with a LAN connected PC. I can ping the router itself (192.168.10.1 in my case) and the VPN interface (10.8.0.3 in my case, this is configured from the OpenVPN server) but I cannot ping the OpenVPN server itself (10.8.0.1) from my Windows machine.

If I shut the tunnel down I can connect to WAN from the Windows machine.

Seems there are no traffic forwarding from 10.8.0.3 to 10.8.0.1. How can I make this happen, please?

Best regards, Jonas

3 Answers

0 votes
by
does your VPN server config push IT'S OWN local routes to the client ?
are you redirecting the client default gateway when the VPN establishes ?

perhaps a small sketch of what you're trying to achieve might help ?

regards

BB
by anonymous
Hello!

What I want to achive:

My local radio club had no internet connection. We would like one for remote controlling radio equipment as well as connecting to for surfing etc. A RUT955 was purchased for this, and it works like a charm for surfing. Unfortunately we don't get a public IP. One solution would be a VPN to a machine with public IP, so I set a Amazon Lightsail up, installed a OpenVPN server and now I try to make them work together. So, traffic from outside must go through the Lightsail sever -> VPN -> router -> equipment. "Surf" traffic from inside can use the tunnel or not, does not matter to me.

"does your VPN server config push IT'S OWN local routes to the client ?"

Is this what you mean?
push "redirect-gateway def1 bypass-dhcp"
push "dhcp-option DNS 172.26.0.2"

"are you redirecting the client default gateway when the VPN establishes ?"
Euhm.. Do you mean the OpenVPN client in the router? Don't know? Is there a setting for this? The PC I'm testing with is set to the router LAN IP as gateway, which works fine when the tunnel is down. Also tested with the TUN IP with no success.

Also, I'm using a TUN. Maybe I should use a TAP?

Best regards, Jonas
0 votes
by
Hello!

No, not solved. I started from the other end. I can ping the tun0 interface on the client from the server. When I do that the origin is server tun0 address and the destination is clients tun0 when debugging using tcpdump. But when I try to ping the router eth0 address from the server (I have a route set up for that) the ping does reach the server tun0 but now it is not originating from server tun0 address but from server eth0 address. This makes the server tun0 NOT to forward to the client tun0, it seems. So, at this point the problem is probably not RUT related. :-)

Best regards, Jonas
0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Could you please draw a simple topology of your solution and share the current OpenVPN configuration?