FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
+1 vote
702 views 3 comments
by

I'm having trouble getting the TRB140 act as a DHCP client on the LAN interface. Starting from Factory reset, and accessing the GUI from the LAN side, I've done these changes in Network -> LAN -> Edit LAN settings:

1. Change Protocol from Static address to DHCP client and click Switch Protocol.
  2. Click Save & apply.
  3. The TRB140 stops responding on 192.168.2.1 (expected I guess)

There is no DHCP request sent from the TRB140 to our DHCP server, so it does not set an IP address and therefore remains inaccessible until factory reset. When doing this over the WAN interface I can also confirm that there is no IP address set:

root@Teltonika-TRB140:~# ifconfig
br-lan    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:42:34:8B:C5
          inet6 addr: fe80::21e:42ff:fe34:8bc5/64 Scope:Link
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:420 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:35332 (34.5 KiB)

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1E:42:34:8B:C5
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:1 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:424 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:60 (60.0 B)  TX bytes:41600 (40.6 KiB)
          Interrupt:108

The distro is missing dhclient so I'm unsure how to renew a lease other than running ifdown and ifup on eth0 (which has no effect).

What do I need to do to get this to work as I expect?

by anonymous
Inclusion of udhcpc in the busybox included in the distro would be extremely useful, and it is a little sad that it was not selected.

We would like to use the eth0 interface as a failover in the case that 3G is not available. Without udhcpc we would need to configure static addresses for each installation and this is not scaleable.

We are investing effort in a hardware add-on to the TRB140, and thus it is not so easy for us to switch to a RUT240/230.

Very keen to encourage @jpteltonika and others to consider baking a udhcpc busybox into a firmware update release.

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi.

Basically the TRB140 is nod designed to act as a LAN client. it is intended to act as a DHCP server instead, that is why you don't have any DHCP clients in the distro of the device.

I would encourage you yo stay tuned to changes in the next months because there will be some updates in the coming roadmap that maybe* will let you customize or instal such DHCP client, but by the moment there is no intention to add this.

In any case, it would be good to hear what kind of project you have and why you need the TRB to act as a client? ar you going to use it to consult some information over your network?

I'll be looking forward for your feedback

Regards
Best answer
by anonymous
Thank you for the reply!

The option of changing to DHCP client in the web GUI then is a little misleading if the device does not have DHCP client functionality.

Our intention is to use the TRB140 as a communications gateway in a public transport ticketing system, and in this configuration we will use its DHCP server. However in order to test some of the existing networking hardware in the system we needed a remotely controlled device able to function as a network client for a time, and the easiest way we saw was using the TRB140.

We have a few RUT950's, perhaps they can serve as DHCP clients.
by anonymous
Hi.

Yes, perhaps there is some confusion in the labels, but for sure there is no DHCP client features in TRB140

Yes, all RUT devices have DCHP client capabilities. And in the future, if you need a cheaper device than the RUT950, you can use a RUT240 (4G) or even a RUT230 which is 3G.

Kind regards