FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
584 views 2 comments
by

Hi, if anyone is able to assist with the following, I would be most grateful for any assistance...

I/we are using an RUT950 router using a SIM/4G internet connection provided by 'Three' in the UK. This has proven to be a reliable and reasonably fast connection, but, when I configure the unit to use a VPN service provide by NordVPN, I cannot get the system to connect to the VPN servers and the connection remain 'unprotected'. I have followed the Teltonika instructions specifically written for this device and this VPN provider  ( https://wiki.teltonika-networks.com/view/RUT9xx_NordVPN_configuration_example )  including trying configuration files/different servers - downloaded directly from NordVPN.

I have also spent an age talking with the NordVPN tech support guys, but nothing gives... Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be?

Also, is there any way of obtaining more detailed WAN connection logs/information, other than the limited info provided under the router's browser user interface, - under 'Status', 'Events Log'?

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous

Also, is there any way of obtaining more detailed WAN connection logs/information, other than the limited info provided under the router's browser user interface, - under 'Status', 'Events Log'?

Yes, you can go with ssh/cli and inspecting strongswan behavior internals by do simple commands like 

ipsec --help

ipsec statusall

And RUTos offer "Troubleshoot" page tab under "System > Administration" menu.

My personal advice for filtering the problems of your question is make a test of your simcard on any other device, like usb dongle for pc or smartphone, and from this device try to ensure NORD VPN is estabilished correctly.

Some isp I know don't allow some kind of traffic trought own networks, maybe it is "crypto incompatible" or contenent inspected filtering activated by isp, so you can double check on other devices your isp "compatible" vpn configuration.

After you found working vpn setup, indeed you can apply to your RUTos.

Regards

by
Thank you for the comprehensive feedback.... Much appreciated
by anonymous

You're welcome heart