FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
728 views 9 comments
by anonymous

Hello,
I have connected a RUTX11 to a PC via a serial cable in order to obtain a backtrace of a kernel crash. On the PC:
cu -l /dev/serial/by-id/usb-FTDI_USB_Null_Modem_Cable_FTBF9K71-if00-port0 -s 115200
gives a console (login password shell all fine) but the kernel messages aren't displayed. They should, according to the Linux kernel documentation (char device major 5 minor 1).

cat /proc/cmdline doesn't indicate that the console is restricted to /dev/ttyMSM0. Is there something special to be done to enable this output ? Another way to obtain this backtrace ?
Regards,

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hello.

If you are connected but don't see any data there are two possible culprits.

First check your baud rate. Baud rate is the most important setting to match up.  The other culprit could be that the TX and RX lines are reversed.

Best regards.
by anonymous
Hello,

Data comes in, I can log in enter commands (with echo). This is not a baud rate issue, nor a RX-TX inversion.

What is missing is the kernel messages, specifically a backtrace after a kernel crash. Hard to debug without this information.

Regards,
by anonymous

Hello,

Use this command to display kernel messages: dmesg

Also you can use logread command to read system messages, for example: logread | grep dhcp

Regards.

by anonymous
No, both become unusable if the kernel crashes.

Is there a way to get and analyse a kernel crash dump on this device ?

Regards,
by anonymous
Hi,

Please share the version of firmware you are using and explain why kernel crashes and steps to reproduce.

Regards
by anonymous
Version; RUTX_R_00.02.04.3

To replicate the kernel crash:

install the wireguard package

create a wireguard interface, assign a private key listen port and IP address

create a peer, assign a public key, allowed IPs, a pre-shared key, endpoint host and port, set route allowed IP, set a persistent keepalive

Then enable the interface. The kernel crash is immediate.

Regards,
by anonymous

Hello.

Sorry for late response.

The router uses a stable kernel. I followed the steps you described but was unable to reproduce your problem.

Is there a way to get and analyse a kernel crash dump on this device?

Unfortunately, there is no such tool.

Regards.

by anonymous
Hello,

I agree 4.14.171 is a stable kernel, but the wireguard module Teltonika uses is somewhat old.

I have recompiled a 1.0.20200729 version using the SDK, this one works fine.

If you are interested, I can PM you a wireguard config which should trigger the bug (same destination router as the one I use).

Regards,
by anonymous
Hello.

Of course, send me your config via private messages. If I am able to reproduce the problem you described, I will immediately forward this information to the RnD department.

Kind regards.
by anonymous
Hello Igor,

Have you been able to replicate the issue with the parameters I have sent by PM ?

Regards,