New Use case Scenario - remote House / RV / Boat
I'm impressed with the functionality of the RUTX11 and will certainly buy one. I might even influence the RV market to buy Teltonika with it because it looks like the RUTX11 can do a lot of things (everything?) I've seen asked on forums.
I'd like to get confirmation first on a few features if anybody can help me please. Hey, I haven't even got a campervan yet ;-)
Scenario for use case:
- A RV or Boat (mobile) or isolated house (static) which has it's own network resources i.e. NAS but has no fixed Internet access.
- There may be an (at cost) 3G / 4G Mobile Network available.
-There may be a free (or at cost) Wi-Fi network hosted by a camp ground or a carrier supplied Wi-Fi hotspot somewhere nearby that is quite a weak signal being at a distance from the vehicle.
- The aim is to search for and connect the RUTX11 as a client to that remote SSID signal using the WebUI and route that signal to a local AP instance (and the LAN) also on the RUTX11 and leave all local Wi-Fi clients (phone / iPad etc.) permanently connected to the local AP SSID (or LAN).
1. There is a Wi-Fi connection available - route LAN and local AP traffic through that Wi-Fi client connection.
2. There is a 4G / 3G Mobile signal, route all traffic through that.
1. Use of RUTX11 as a Wi-Fi extender / repeater.
I see that I can set the RUTX11 as a WiFi client - good:
2. I see that I can configure a secondary "Guest" AP Wi-Fi network - good:
3.A. QUESTION: Can I use the RUTX11 as a Wi-Fi client and as an AP at the same time? On the same 2.4MHz range using "Auto" as the AP channel selector?
3.B. QUESTION: Can the RUTX11 route between the "client" instance and the "guest" AP and the "LAN" to use resources located on the LAN i.e. a NAS and to extend / boost the "client instance" network for use as a route to the Internet for Wi-Fi and Ethernet clients?
4. Accepting that most distant "public" Wi-Fi hotspots are likely to be 2.4MHz for connectivity (and low throughput) benefits. If the answer to 3.A. is positive, is it possible to avoid 2.4 MHz contention to set the "guest" local AP to the 5MHz band and route from the 2.4MHz "client instance"?
5. I'm right out of my depth now . . . To minimise Wi-Fi traffic: could I set a firewall rule so that remote "client instance" Wi-Fi packets not destined for local clients on the local LAN / AP are dropped? I don't see that I would need to add anything here.
6. How to set up common DHCP scope for AP and LAN. I presume one DHCP server can service both interfaces?
7. How to set up NAT between Wi-Fi client instance and local AP.
8. Set firewall rule(s) to ensure that local AP and LAN traffic are in the same zone - i.e. can all use internal LAN resources, see each other and get on Internet.
Interest based questions:
9. I can't think how the GPS antenna is of use to me in this end user situation although obviously, it's going to be better positioned for signal reception than the dash mounted use of a phone / mini iPad. Am I missing something?
10. Ditto bluetooth. I see there are lots of sender types listed under accessories but for this end use scenario, what use is the bluetooth to me?
I know this is a tall order for a freebie community based support option. If anybody has already done the heavy lifting to set this up on a RUTX11 then I'm up for buying a copy of the configuration (licencing provisions allowing etc.),
Thanks in anticipation.