FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
2,958 views 3 comments
by
Which software would you recommend to create a virtual comport on a windows PC that communicates with RUT955 set up to RS485 with serial over IP

3 Answers

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

Not sure what you want to do, but for testing RS over IP mode you could try to use Hercules software in your PC:

https://www.hw-group.com/software/hercules-setup-utility
0 votes
by anonymous

Hello,

There are multiple different virtual com port software and you can use any of them with RUT955 router.

I could recommend trying out "Virtual Serial Port" application from HW group, which is completely free:

by

Thanks,

I would like to connection with RS485 via fixed WAN ip address. Should I make some extra settings, firewall, port routing?

I get an error in LAN status!

by anonymous

Hello,

Few comments about your uploaded pictures:

• At least for testing purposes I would suggest to use any COM port from 1 to 10  (Using higher COM port might sometimes cause communication issues)
  • Port number, which you use in VSP software should be the same, which is configured on the router. In your case they do not match (5000 <> 5005).

Once that is done, you should be able to establish Virtual Serial Port connection from computer to the router without need to temper with computer's firewall (since connection from the computer would be "outgoing" and not "incoming")

0 votes
by anonymous

Create COM port and make an IP connection, not many programs can do this. I agree that the port must be set the same in order to have a direct connection. In your case, this is 5000. For better work, I would recommend serial to ethernet adapter