FOR TIPS, gUIDES & TUTORIALS

subscribe to our Youtube

GO TO YOUTUBE

14455 questions

17168 answers

28195 comments

0 members

We are migrating to our new platform at https://community.teltonika.lt. Moving forward, you can continue discussions on this new platform. This current platform will be temporarily maintained for reference purposes.
0 votes
1,174 views 2 comments
by anonymous

Subject speed on 4G LTE Network

Dear Teltonika Crowd forum,

I am not sure if this is the correct place to ask for advice on my dilemma.
If not, maybe you can refer me to the right place.
This is my dilemma: 

I have 7 RUT-240 Global routers working for me in South Africa.
They are in a holiday apartment complex.
The complex sits in a bit of difficult corner for 4G LTE signals, so they all have also an outside areal to pick-up the signal.
When we introduced the setup, it was a good enough signal to work with and it was possible to use Wi-Fi for work and pleasure.
Two weeks ago, we bought a little secondhand Mi-Fi router for guests to bring along with them when they where on the road, so they still could stay connected to the internet.
The model is a TP-Link M7300 version 3.0
The guests who have used it, started providing some feedback to us that the speed of the Mi-Fi was better then on the Wi-Fi in the apartments.
At first we thought, this has something to do with the difficult signal we are getting at the apartments versus the usage of the Mi-Fi whilst being on the road.
But in the end, we decided to do a test in 1 of the apartments with the same SIM card at 3 different times of the day, swapping the SIM from the Teltonika RUT-240 to the TP-Link M7300.
The difference was astonishing and then to think of the fact that the little Mi-Fi has not even got an outside areal and is older in production date then the Teltonika.
We thought, something must be wrong here, but what?
<!--[if !supportLineBreakNewLine]-->
<!--[endif]-->This was a long introduction  for my very basic question:
What could possibly be wrong?
Is there maybe something wrong in my default settings of the RUT-240 routers that it cannot handle the maximum speeds of the 4G LTE signal?
I really have no idea and hope you can tell / help me.
I have added the snapshots of the speed tests (done with speedtest.net) to this ticket.
Below some technical information on the Teltonika and the TP-Link router.
I really hope someone has a brilliant idea and tip for me

Thanks again in advance, for all the help on this crowd forum, I really love it.

Kind regards,
Wilbert

Teltonika Router
Router name:                    RUT240
Host name:                        Teltonika-RUT240.com
Router model:                  Teltonika RUT240 LTE
Serial number:                  1103768031
Firmware version:           RUT2XX_R_00.01.13.1
Kernel version:                 3.18.44
Bootloader version:        3.2.0

TP-Link MI-FI
Router model:                  M7300  Ver: 3.0
Serial number:                  3175100001972
Firmware version:           M7300(EU)_V3_181220

Hi EB,

Thanks a lot for the very quick response, that is really appreciated.
Would any of the RUTX models work, or can you advice a particular type.
For me the strenght of the 4G LTE is important and a strong indorr wifi signal is preferred.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Wilbert

1 Answer

0 votes
by anonymous
Hi,

I've checked the product page of that TP-LINK model and saw that the speeds of the mobile modem and WiFi module are much faster than in our RUT240. As TP-Link is a more basic consumer product that should provide more stability and speed into daily use of the internet - it's obviously better for your use-case. All of our routers are rich with additional services and functionalities like VPN, alarms, input-output management, Modbus, and so on. So we rarely recommend this device for standard home router use-case.

Greater speeds than this TP-LINK model could be achieved with our newer RUTX models, they support LTE6 modems and WiFi is capable of 802.11ac mode, which can bring you to 300-400 mbps speeds in good environmental circumstances.

EB.
by anonymous
Hi EB,

Thanks a lot for the very quick response, that is really appreciated.
Would any of the RUTX models work, or can you advice a particular type.
For me the strenght of the 4G LTE is important and a strong indorr wifi signal is preferred.

Thanks for the help in advance.
Wilbert
by anonymous
RUTX11 should be the model to go then, it will give you great LTE and a strong 2.4/5Ghz WiFi signal to use indoors.

EB.